We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Cody

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
187 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours in Cody

We will be leaving Canyon Village in Yellowstone on the last Sunday of August in our rental car and travelling to Cody for an overnight stay on our way to Billings for our flight back to Las Vegas. We are a family of four, our children are grown up and in their early 20's.

I am guessing it will take 2+ hours to drive to Cody so we will arrive around midday. We may make a stop or two on the way. Any thoughts on our brief itinerary would be welcome?

Thinking to have lunch at Rocky Mountain Mojoe, spend some time in town before catching the Trolley Tour at 3pm for a one hour overview. We would like to visit the Buffalo Trace Winery that afternoon too. No gunfight on Sunday I understand so we will miss that. We are staying at Cowboy Village so will head there to check in and then see the rodeo that night (should we buy tickets in advance as its last of the season?). Any recommendations for where to go to maybe get some food and a drink later?

Breakfast before checking out, then we wanted to do 8.30am Mustang Tour which takes us to around 11am, thinking light lunch and a drink (driver excluded of course, but we are interested in trying wines and local craft beer) at Juniper Bar before our drive to Billings for late afternoon flight, I reckoned 2hours to drive to Billings. We will have driven Beartooth on our way into Yellowstone a week earlier, any route suggestions to Billings or do we just take what Sat Nav/map shows as shortest?

Realise we have missed a wonderful museum but I'm not sure it would be worth the entry fee to squeeze an hour or two in and not see it propeely? We will have tried to do Visitors Centres, exhibitions etc earlier in the trip to try to learn more about natural history and geology of the area. We have internal flights and Yellowstone, grand Tetons hotels all booked so hard to alter now, but I think with hindsight more time in Cody would have been good. Excuse to come again of course, but it's a long way from home!

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Rocky Mountain Mojoe
Rocky Mountain Mojoe
348 Reviews
Cody, WY
Cody Cowboy Village
Cody Cowboy Village
1,329 Reviews
Cody, WY
Billings
Billings
Montana
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours in Cody

>should we buy tickets in advance as its last of the season?

Likely unnecessary, but not a bad idea if you're sure you're attending.

>I reckoned 2hours to drive to Billings.

That's about right.

just take what Sat Nav/map shows as shortest?

Yes, that direct route is pretty scenic.

There are some good steakhouses in Cody. We like the Irma Hotel dining room - good food and lots of history.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,278 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours in Cody

Hmmm, if either of your children are girls, they might enjoy a quick stop at the Sierra Trading Post outlet store which is near the museum. I realize this is at the end of your vacation, lol but their prices are good if you can sizes and colors that suit.

www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/retail-stores/

Pam

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
187 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours in Cody

Thank you both for your replies, nice to speak to you again! I have been away from the TA forum awhile, but the holiday is rapidly approaching so time to 'get back on the case'! Spent most of my time on an Alzheimer's Forum lately, but that's another story :(

Really need this holiday.....

Glad my estimations on time to drive to Billings were about right, and that the route is scenic - wouldn't want to miss a last glimpse of that scenery before we fly! Though we will be in Vegas after that, we will have 2 days in Grand Canyon and one at Red Rock during that time, so we are still trying to see more than neon lights. I didn't know what to expect the first time DH and I went to Vegas, I think a couple of days there are enough personally, but our children may think differently - so this is their first time.

Girl and a boy Pam, but I will say the lure of a pair of Levis at half the UK price is enough to get my son into at least one shop! Last time in California he managed to buy 6 pairs of jeans, shoes, 2 jackets, a belt - all within the space of about half an hour. Not one for browsing is my lad, but he certainly likes a bargain as long as we don't make him trail round shops after his sister. Will check that outlet mall out. (We went to NYC and everyone said 'for the shopping' er duh, not in this family! Architecture, art, parks, lots of walking, atmosphere and buzz and some theatre, but shopping, oh no chance of that).

I have looked on YouTube at videos of Cody Rodeo. We were planning to skip one in Jackson, but then if the weather doesn't play ball at Cody then we might miss out completely? I think if we do the one in Jackson we will take a family vote after that, see if everyone is up for a separate and different experience in Cody or not. We will have internet for a day or two so with four days to book before the rodeo in Cody we can perhaps make a decision and book online?

Recommendation for Irma Hotel noted, three carnivores in our party who will no doubt be looking for a good steak, I am usually happy to take whatever veggie fayre they offer. On a side note, went to Smith and Wollensky in NYC, only thing on menu for a vegetarian was onion rings - not a good idea!

When I started out on planning, it seemed simple, see Yellowstone, fly into Vegas, throw in a trip to Grand Canyon. But oh boy is there so much more to see and do! Shouldn't have left it til my late 40's/early 50's to start exploring this side of the US, running out of time and knees!

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours in Cody

The Cody rodeo is superior to Jackson's, so that's the one I'd see if you have time in Cody. The seats in Cody are under cover, so the weather shouldn't make too much of a difference. (Part of the Jackson seating is under cover.) You can book the Cody seats online a few days ahead.

Wyoming restaurants aren't noted for their vegetables; mostly, we eat cows here. But if you like seafood, do try the Rocky Mountain oysters.

Mentioned in this post
The Cody Hotel
The Cody Hotel
1,081 Reviews
Cody, WY
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
187 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours in Cody

Good job I have seen some episodes of US food programmes, enough to know Rocky Mountain oysters are more bull than seafood! I will stick to the lettuce! Not sure my carnivorous family are up for those, but who knows, when in Rome etc, lol!

I am used to researching my options in advance after our first trip to disneyworld Florida in 2001 where I discovered you can live on pizza and fries for two weeks. Either things have improved, or I just know where to look these days, Florida works well, California better, but I can promise you Spain and France are pretty hard going. Greece is my best bet, more so than UK.

I come from an area in the UK with a long history of making meat go further, if it's dead it can probably go in the pan somehow, brains on toast, heart and offal made into 'faggots' (ok that might take some explaining, they're like meatballs wrapped in stomach lining, bit like haggis but smaller). Rabbit stew, oxtail, and various internal organs. I think coming home to see a whole pigs head sitting on the side waiting to be turned into brawn was a turning point, one vegetarian in the making!

Scenery and wildlife first, if there's some good food and wine/beer along the way then that's a bonus!

Good try on the oysters!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
California
California
United States
Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
187 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours in Cody

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the rodeos, my impression was Cody had the better one so I think we will do as you suggest and book online. I don't mind a bit of weather, we can cope with rain, but I was a bit concerned that a downpour might cancel the rodeo and we would miss out. Sounds like that shouldn't be a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,278 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hours in Cody

Bill didn't give his usual punch line which is...in Wyoming they serve vegetarians, but they are the cows, lol.

I will also tell you as a vegan I can usually find something to eat in Wyoming or in Yellowstone. In Yellowstone at the General Stores they have a chipotle black bean burger that they say is vegan. I am thinking the bun is not vegan but it is good nonetheless. All I can say is oh my goodness on the local offal offerings. Yikes.

Sierra Trading Post is just one small store. If you are going to the big outlet malls in LV then you may not need to bother with stopping there. Laughed at your son...he shops with a purpose!

Sorry about your having to be on the Alzheimers forum...have dealt with that and it is exhausting mentally and physically. The good thing about Yellowstone is that it was always my *bolt hole* when I was a caregiver/carer. When my brother could take time off work and step in for me, I was off to Yellowstone to enjoy the geysers, wildlife, scenery, waterfalls...everything I need to *refill my own cup* so to speak. I hope you find the same for yourself!

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
187 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hours in Cody

Thanks Pam, I admire your resolve on being vegan, I aspire to it but it's a tough call. Dad thinks being veggie is 'just a fad', well it's lasted over twenty years so I don't appear to have grown out of it? My grandma had a special nail on the kitchen door for hanging and skinning rabbits, mom liked to make brawn which is basically cooked and pressed meat from a pigs head. I can admire the inventiveness needed in the war years to feed a family, and I think it will be a shame if some of that craft and history is lost to ready meals. I cannot say the traditional British diet lends itself to giving up meat or fish, but we do grow great vegetables and summer fruit and apples and the variety of tastes from the continent and Asia have given us some interesting ways to flavour vegetarian food. I think it's the cheese I couldn't give up on, I would put that above chocolate any day!

I've been recommended to try Cafe Regis in Red Lodge for veggie options on breakfast and lunch. I found a couple of places in Jackson and I will certainly try the veggie burger you mention. If I had a pound for every portobello mushroom burger I have eaten, I would be a wealthy woman! Same goes for vegetable lasagne, though that seems to have been replaced on UK pub menus by veg in sauce in flaky pastry, think you can charge more if you call it a mushroom Wellington or something that dresses up what it really is?

I can completely empathise with the need to have a bolt hole, I certainly feel I need to wrestle some part of my life back and connect with the real world again and not the twilight world of dementia, care, clinics and frustrations. No brothers or sisters sadly, and my children live a couple of hours plus drive away, but I have a great hubby who has supported me through a horrendous year. He needs this vacation too. Sorry that you too have been subjected to the impact of this awful disease in a loved one, so sad that so many share this experience.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Regis
Cafe Regis
320 Reviews
Red Lodge, MT
Red Lodge
Red Lodge
Montana
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,278 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 hours in Cody

It is more difficult to be vegan in a food culture that is dairy based! I was in Ireland last year and it was a challenge but I found France and Italy to be easier. London is pretty easy but as you mentioned there are always lots of ethnic options which open up choices. Cheese is easy to do without once you get thru the initial phase, then it doesn't even taste good!

In Yellowstone, some of the Xanterra dining facilities offer a meat substitute called Gardein which is pretty good. It is made from pea protein but does have soy and wheat gluten in it if you are sensitive to either of those substances. The dining facilities are run by 2 different companies, Xanterra (lodging and the restaurants/delis in them) and Delaware North which runs the General Stores which diner-type food and counter services so you will find different basics in each company's facilities.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,268 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 hours in Cody

If you want to try some highbrow food that compares favorably to anything you can find in Europe's finer restaurants, consider attending the annual Testicle Festival in Clinton, Montana.

http://testyfesty.com/

This is what passes for sophistication in the American West.

Edited: 27 May 2015, 12:09
Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States