We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

Just planning our September trip to YNP and Grand Tetons and wondering if there is anywhere we can hire an RV for a week from either Cody, Jackson or Billings?

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Billings, Montana
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

What have you come up with your research so far? I found these places in a quick google search:

Pierce RV Supercenter in Billings rents motorhomes and trailers. You can also rent through Cruise America in Billings

http://www.piercervrentals.com/

Jackson, Wyoming:

http://jhadventure.com/travel-trailers/

http://www.adventurecamper.com/

Deb

Edited: 21 May 2015, 21:20
Mentioned in this post
Billings
Billings
Montana
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,278 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

And, totally NOT your question, but Yellowstone is not really a terrific place to drive an RV. The roads are narrow and pullouts are small. In order to stop to watch wildlife all four of your tires must be off the road and not crushing vegetation. If you don't have a tow car you will have to break camp every day. Are you an experienced RV'er?

The later you come in Sept the more you set yourself up for encountering iffy weather. There can be periods of snow in September. Since your profile doesn't give us a clue as to whether you have any winter driving skills it's hard to know if you would be comfortable in a rental car much less an RV in bad weather.

Yellowstone and Grand Tetons are wonderful destinations but really better seen in a rental car in my view.

Pam

3. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2017, 11:30
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,278 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

Since the new Canyon lodging is not open yet, no one is really going to be able to give you an idea of what it is like. It is supposed to open the first of August.

I think you will be happier without the RV.

Are you getting a good airfare flying in to Cody because it is one of the smaller airports in the area. Jackson, Bozeman and Billings are larger as is Idaho Falls which might offer you more flights. I don't know if the prices are more competitive.

With your short time frame I would suggest you look at flying open jaw. This may create a drop off fee for your rental car so you will need to check this. To me a better plan would be to fly in to Bozeman and out of Jackson or the reverse. Check airfares and car rental rates in both directions. Cody is interesting but I would prioritize it after Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. However it is your choice.

After you decide on your arrival/departure city/cities then you need to get going on lodging. I assume you will need 2 rooms so you will need to get looking. If you can't find anything you may wind up staying in the gateway cities of West Yellowstone or Gardiner or splitting between the 2. With the kids you probably want to stay in one place, though.

BTW, it looks like you have 2 identities with Trip Advisor. I am guessing you signed in to Trip Advisor for your first question, then when you can back to post, the website seduced you in to signing in with your FB account? Just bringing this up so you are aware in case you need to go back and look for questions you have asked in the future. It is confusing for everyone, lol.

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

Thanks Pam.

As far as flights go, we are planning to fly in to Cody from LAX with Delta (not sure if they are good these days?). Cheapest flight appears to have of only 45 mins in SLC - do you think this will be enough time to make our connecting flight from SLC to Cody (conscious of delays out of LAX), but would allow us to check our bags all the way through...

Current price is US$273 pp with return flight (out of Cody) to LV (also via SLC) which seems like a reasonable price. Have definitely considered an open jaw ticket, returning out of West Yellowstone for about the same flight costs, but would just need to factor in the additional costs of one way rental (we will probably be in two cars) in to the equation.

Flights in/out of Jackson are more than US$600 pp (x6!) for our dates so Cody, Billings or West Yellowstone definitely preferred. Will try to see if we can work in an open jaw ticket with Bozeman or Jackson.

Noticed that my reply came up under different username after posting it (sorry for any confusion!)...

Edited: 22 May 2015, 11:26
Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Billings
Billings
Montana
Bozeman
Bozeman
Montana
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,278 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

Delta is one of the 2 airlines that fly into my local airport so I fly them when I fly and am pleased. I can change planes in SLC in under 33 minutes if my flights are on time but I know the airport and I know what gates my local flight arrives at and leaves from. In your instance I would only do that quick a transit if there is another flight later in the day. If it is the last flight of the day and you miss it you will be in SLC overnight. Do look to see how many flights a day are offered to your choice of destination in case there is an issue. I know this layover time is a *legal* connection according to Delta but check my suggestions before you book.

I would definitely want to book this all on one ticket.

Good luck with your search.

Pam

Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

Thanks Pam.

As previously mentioned, accommodation options inside the park appear quite limited so would be interested in your opinion:

Assuming the cost difference is negligible, would you suggest we stay at Grant or Canyon (as you mention, the latter is due to re-open in August). Our group would obviously be in two separate rooms.

Given the length of our stay (and we are travelling with little children), I am inclined to stay inside YNP, rather than lose the time driving back/forth out to West Yellowstone or Gardiner.

Mr E

Mentioned in this post
Flowood, Mississippi
Level Contributor
286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

Yes, staying inside the park will be a definite benefit time wise-much less driving. Canyon Lodges, which are centrally located on the east side of the park, will be a much better choice than Grant Village. Grant is a drive to get to everything. The lodges that are opening in August at Canyon, are brand new. Some of the rooms will have amenities not found in most Yellowstone lodging-refrigerators and telephones. Be aware that the two older lodges, Cascade and Dunraven, Cascade is three floors and no elevator and Dunraven , four floors with an elevator. Hopefully the new lodges will all have elevators. If you look on the Xanterrs website, choose Canyon Lodge, there is a link to a webcam that shows the exterior of the new lodges. I called Xanterra in April and asked if the opening in August was a "sure thing", and was told "most definitely". If you are concerned about the opening, I suggest sending Xanterra an email with your question.

Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

Thanks jkitty47 and Pam - went ahead and booked our three nights in Canyon Lodge tonight. Now I just need to sort out some flights.

Briefly toyed with the idea of getting one of those nights at Old Faithful, but availability was extremely limited (and too much hassle to shift our little ones for just one night)

Mr E

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,278 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV Hire out of Cody, Jackson or Billings

I am glad you took Kitty's advice. Yes, if it were just adults I would suggest a move, but with the little ones I think this will work for you.

Pam