We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

Concho, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

We are going in May for salmon fishing. The husbands will be fishing everyday but the wives will only be fishing 2 or 3 days. What is Woodland like? Is it a nice enough town with some different dining choices (we'll be staying there for a week).

Does anyone know anything about the Lewis River Inn?

Mentioned in this post
Lewis River Inn
Lewis River Inn
199 Reviews
Woodland, WA
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,020 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

One, you would be near, to the south on I-5, Ft. Clatsop National Monument, Vancouver, WA. Two, across the Columbia River, you'd have all of the Portland, OR area to explore. Inquire of Trip Advisor, Portland, OR. http://www.travelportland.com/

Three, enjoy a very scenic loop drive from Vancouver, WA eastbound along the Columbia River Gorge, return by crossing any of several dams and bridges on the Columbia River to the south side, and see many waterfalls and scenic views (especially off the freeway, on the scenic drive.) The two sides are very different and well worth the trip. Do pull off at the designated scenic areas.

http://www.crgva.org/map.htm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/forest/

http://www.vancwa.com/

Five, and with the time available to you, an an easy and short drive on I-5, you could see Mt. St. Helens, a geological wonder, explained beautifully by the National Forest Service at several visitor centers, especially the last one, Johnston Ridge.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/

http://www.mountsthelens-awesome.com/wood.htm

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
Washington
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

Wodland has about 4000 people. I have passed through there several times heading inland as well as on I-5, but really did not notice nice restaurants. Suppose there may be some. Vancouver 20 miles away and has many nice resaurants.

Voyaging has some good ideas of sights to see. For sure I would go to Mt St Helens from there, though you might want to pick a day the men could go. But don't let them talk you into an afternoon visit after fishing. To see it right is pretty much a full day. 5 visitor centers. Johnston Ridge best stop, but Weyerhauser is also good because they have a different message. They are restoring their lands. Forest Service is letting nature restore. So you get interesting comparisons. Pack a lunch and eat near the mountain.

Columbia Gorge also very good. It can also be pretty full day. One disadvanteg there is you might hit rush hour traffic in Portland metro area.

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Concho, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

Thanks for your help. We decided to try out Woodland and the Lewis River Inn even though we can't find any reviews on the hotel. The location sounds like it is centrally located so I'm sure Woodland is a good choice for us.

Mentioned in this post
Lewis River Inn
Lewis River Inn
199 Reviews
Woodland, WA
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

You can get to the east side of Mt St Helens from Woodland

I think the view from Windy Point on east is very good. You get a better idea of all that happened with the mountain. The flow is more evident both across the canyon to Windy Ridge and down the Toutle River. There is limited interp though. You would need to read in advance to understand what you are seeing.

Twisty mountain roads getting there, and narrow in afew spots but paved surface. Drop the men at Lewis Res and come get them 6 hours later.

The interp on west site is very good, and the activity of the mountian also visible there. You could do both. but not in same day. Road from east does not go through to road from west.

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

Write or call the Woodland Chamber of Commerce for brochure:

Woodland Chamber of Commerce - 900 Goerig St. P.O. Box 1012

Woodland, WA 98674 1 (360) 225- 9552

I must stop for May is at the Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens which 1.5 miles west of town at 115 Perkins RD. There is a 4.5 acre garden - with lost of varieties of specially developed hybrid lilacs. Grounds have a 1889 pioneer house. Open everyday 10 - 4 mid-april to mid May. Donations. Call - 1 (360) 225- 8996.

Also - see if the special shows are on then at The Lelooska Cultural Compound in nearby Ariel. They have amazing native dancing and and an excellent museum. just google "Lelooska" and their website will give their schedule.

Lewis Inn is a AAA rated 2 diamond property with AAA discount. Another property in Woodland is the Best Western Woodland Inn and Suites. It is just off the freeway. It is a AAA 3 diamond property - also with AAA discount. I have stayed here - it is really just a comfortable motel - nothing special. Next door is a reasonably good restaurant - the Oak Tree - open 7am to 10 pm. They have really excellent huge cinnamon rolls and a very nice gift shop. Their prime rib on the weekends is good also.

There is alo a good used book stop as you go into town that I enjoy browsing at.

washington state
Level Contributor
551 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

OK. First of all, where is the fishing occuring that you have chosen Woodland as your home base? If you are looking for a cute little town with shops and restaurants and a place to stroll and while away the hours, I'm not sure Woodland is the place you are looking for. It used to be a small town in the country, but now kind of a distant bedroom community of Portland and Vancouver. Reasons and expectations?

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

I highly recommend the Lelooska Cultural Center if you are at all interested in northwest Native American culture. THe programs they put on are interesting-dancing in costumes and masks that are beautiful. However, I think they are only offered in the fall-the museum might be open all year.

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

The Lelooska web site is www.lelooska.org

They have an evening program (which is what you want) on May 12 at 7:00 PM for $10. After the show you can tour the Museum. They are both unique and excellent. I note you are from Arizona - this is completely different than the ceremonies of your area. Although the Lelooska family are Cherokee - they were adopted by the Kwaikwakl (sorry don't remember how to spell it) of B.C. - a major 1st nation tribe. The masks are remarkable - see pictures on the web site. These are world-class artists.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Concho, Arizona
Level Contributor
52 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

Thanks for all of the good tips! The guide is taking us fishing up and down the Columbia on different spots each day. He said Kalama was about mid-point so Woodland seems like it will be a good enough location.

I was mostly worried that Woodland might be a bad area or that the Lewis Inn was a dump (you can't completely trust web sites). It's tough when there aren't any TripAdvisor comments on a hotel.

All of your information helps a lot especially the restaurant, book store, lilac gardens, Mt. St. Helens, and cultural center tips. It sounds like we will find plenty to keep us busy when we're not fishing. I haven't been to the Northwest since I was 12. I remember how beautiful it was up there so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone know anything about Woodland, WA?

The flow is more evident both across the canyon to Windy Ridge and down the Toutle River.

I need to correct my previous post, Johnston Ridge is what I should have said

Get answers to your questions about Woodland