We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaks in Oct

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaks in Oct

I am renting a house for a weekend near the end of Oct and would like to do some Kayaking while there. Does anyone know where Kayaks can be rented in the off-season? I may be interested in a tour too, but because it's a group going I'm not certain yet.

3 replies to this topic
San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaks in Oct

I only know of two places on Lopez that rent kayaks and they both are only open through September. You could try contacting them though and asking them if they know of anyone who rents private kayaks there off season. It's a small community and most people know each other there. The in-season rental places are Lopez Bicycle Works - at www.lopezbicycleworks.com and Lopez Kayaks in the San Juan Islands at www.lopezkayaks.com

Mentioned in this post
Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaks in Oct

These guys rent sea kayaks on San Juan Island, but not sure if they're available at the end of October sea-quest-kayak.com/kayak-rentals/kayak-rent… OR http://www.sanjuankayak.com/kayak-rentals/ Of course from Lopez you'd have to ferry over to get out on the kayaks.

The kayaking operators on Orcas don't list rentals on their websites, but you never know and it might be worth giving them a call. Same problem having to ferry over to Orcas from Lopez.

If this fine October weather holds till the end of the month you may luck out. with a rental. Been paddling off Whidbey the past week and it has been fine - easy seas, salmon running, seal lions checking me out up close and personal.

Another idea may be to check CraigsList or the tour operators I've linked to above and buy a used kayak (they"re selling them).

Mentioned in this post
San Juan Island
San Juan Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaks in Oct

I own Shearwater Kayak Tours on Orcas Island (shearwaterkayaks.com) . We offer tours only, and I expect we will close for the season after Oct 17 this year. It's a matter of weather. On Lopez, contact the rental places above or Colin at Cascadia Kayaks. If you rent, talk to someone local about areas to avoid for tidal currents and find a resource for the latest NOAA marine weather forecast. Fall kayaking can be great in the islands, but cold water/air temps should be taken seriously.

Mentioned in this post
Shearwater Kayak Tours
Shearwater Kayak Tours
280 Reviews
Orcas Island, WA
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Reply to: Kayaks in Oct
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lopez Island