We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many nights on Lopez?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
How many nights on Lopez?

This will be a first time trip to the SJIs. We'll have a car. Wondering if we should do 3 nights on Lopez as our home base or 2 nights on Lopez and 1 on Friday Harbor. This is for July 1-4. I don't know how much of a pain it is to take the ferries intera island over those 4 days. Appreciate the help!

3 replies to this topic
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: How many nights on Lopez?

It's generally not much of a pain to move once, though that is the single busiest weekend of the year, and a lot of people come to Lopez for the 4th. But is your idea even possible for that weekend? I have to think it will be difficult to impossible to find a one stay in Friday Harbor on a holiday weekend at this point. A lot of places have 3 night minimums on holiday weekends. In general I would recommend that someone who has never been visit SJI and see both sections of the historical park. What might be better is to stay on Lopez and walk onto the ferry to Friday Harbor. There are lots of ways to get around SJI so you don't need a car.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
109 reviews
2. Re: How many nights on Lopez?

At this point, the decision might come down to accommodation availability. It's a holiday weekend on both sides of the border (Canada and US), so options are probably slim to none.

~ Colleen

4 posts
3. Re: How many nights on Lopez?

Assuming accommodations are all set. I suggest you follow Christy 1 advice and leave your car on Lopez while you go to Friday Harbor as a foot passenger. Inter island foot and bicycle traffic are free both ways, all you do is walk on, walk off. We use use San Juan Transit to shuttle us all over San Juan Island for one fare all day long. How much time you need on Lopez is purely up to you, but I find that two hours is all I need of the village, but I spend all day riding my bike.

Reply to: How many nights on Lopez?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lopez Island