We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long weekend on Lopez Island with toddler

Portland, Oregon
9 posts
Long weekend on Lopez Island with toddler

Hi there! My husband and I are planning a long weekend on Lopez Island at the end of June with our soon-to-be 2 year old son. I am curious what we can expect weather to be like at that time of year and if the roads are safe enough to bike with a trailer hooked on the back for our son. I understand there are no bike lanes but wonder if traffic is calm enough to make this a reality. Any other toddler-friendly tips are also appreciated! Thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,637 posts
109 reviews
1. Re: Long weekend on Lopez Island with toddler

Sounds lovely! Our family has spent many wonderful hours cycling bike-friendly Lopez ~ my favorite of the San Juan Islands. My five sons are now ages 12 to 21, but from the time the oldest was a the age of your son, we biked there. We pulled him in a trailer, then later pulled two in a double trailer. By the time they were school-aged, they were able to bike the island on their own and again, we never had any safety concerns.

Weather at the end of June should be mild and pleasant with highs in the 60s. Are you going to camp? We always just took our bikes on the ferry, camping a couple of times, but more often going over for a long day. If you plan to take your car over, do make a ferry reservation.

I'm glad I read your post ~ reminds me we need to do this again this year. Have a great time!

~ Colleen

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Long weekend on Lopez Island with toddler

The flattest of the main islands, Lopez’s quiet country roads pass small farms and peaceful pastures and seem to be made for bike riding. There isn't much car traffic anywhere outside of town and the residents are used to bike riders alongside the roads so it's by far the best of the San Juan islands to bike at. You can even walk your bikes onto the ferry in Anacortes and leave the car parked in Anacortes. Lopez's only businesses are in small Lopez Village, a few short streets near a bay with some gift shops, cafes and a grocery store.

I don't have young children so can't advise on that specifically although I will talk below on the parks I think are the highlights of Lopez. From the San Juan Visitor's bureau thoough you can see their web page "Lopez Island Kids Activites" at https:/…family-activities

You can see info on all the parks on Lopez at http://www.lopezisland.com/parks.htm One of our favorites there is Spencer Spit State Park....more info on that park at www.parks.wa.gov/parks/… Watmough bay beach is now a public park and has become quite popular, it's very pretty but small so it's not the same as it used to be at all for locals, but visitors seem to like it. I've seen children wading there in the summer so the water in this small sheltered bay must be warmer than most places. Iceberg Point is also public land now and although much more visited than it used to be, it is much larger than Watmough so you can have more sense of "being out away from all" and residing for awhile in beautiful nature. Both those are far from the ferry landing so keep that in mind when you want to head to leave.

Another place to go that I've seen groups of people at is Shark Reef Sanctuary. It's a short wooded walk to this quiet stretch of rocky shoreline where usually you can see harbor seals lounging on the small rocky islands right off shore. See much useful information on that location at wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/shark-reef-sanctuary

Portland, Oregon
9 posts
3. Re: Long weekend on Lopez Island with toddler

Oh this sounds so lovely, Colleen! Thank you for your response, I am looking even more forward to our trip now. We are not camping, rather staying in an AirBnB but I'm sure there are some beautiful places to camp there!

Portland, Oregon
9 posts
4. Re: Long weekend on Lopez Island with toddler

Thank you so much for your park recommendations and the links for more information. I am taking notes and appreciate your input!

Reply to: Long weekend on Lopez Island with toddler
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lopez Island