We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in area with elderly mom...?

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in area with elderly mom...?

My mom loves gardens, beautiful scenery and the NW but walks very slowly and shorter to moderate distances....she doesn't need or use a chair however. We;ll be in Bellingham for my daughter's 3 day soccer tournament and want ideas for 2-4 hr "side trips" nearby? Also, not a shopper--not at all. So galleries and that sort of thing are out. tWe're staying in the city center.thank you!

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

What time of year are you going to be here (sorry, I don't know when soccer season is)?

Big Rock Garden would be a nice place - large variety of maples and wonderful statues tucked in here and there - there are place to sit and rest too.

You can pick up a map at Viking Union and do the sculpture tour on campus at WWU. This would be a longer walk with less places to sit.

You could pick up a cheese picnic at the cheese shop in Fairhaven and drive down to Boulevard or Marine park - very easy (flat) walks - and watch the water and boats.

If it is raining and your Mom like movies the Pickford is great - bonus if the movie is showing in theatre one you can take wine in with you.

If you are here "in season" there is also a nice selection of boat tours - but I don't know if their schedule would work with the soccer game schedule.

You could drive up to White Rock for lunch (or dinner) we do that a lot in the summer. (don't forget that if you are taking your daughter that you technically need a signed note from the other parent if you aren't the sole guardian - if that is the case then you need that paperwork - they usually don't ask for it, but better safe than sorry).

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

White Rock sounds lovely. This is all happening soon, in August. Because it's "high season", all told, how long would a lunch or dinner round-trip take since you have to cross the border? thanks for the border tip (vis a vis our daughter) though it would probably be just be me and my mom, if not, everyone including husband.

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

Crossing the border depends on day and time - usually Wednesdays work out for the shortest delays. We usually block out a few hours for the trip (maybe figure an hour / hour and a half to get there and depending on how you time it coming back another hour / hour and a half to get back). Sorry, since we usually meander up there I don't really pay attention to the travel time.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
708 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

On Thursday evenings the Whatcom Museum offers history cruises around Bellingham Bay: whatcommuseum.org/events/…-

and San Juan Cruises offers some other evening cruises: http://www.whales.com/.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

you could go hang out at Boulevard Park or Marine Park

6. Re: What to do in area with elderly mom...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2013, 19:18