We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virginia Beach Jet Noise

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Virginia Beach Jet Noise

I fancy holiday holidaying in Virginia Beach with my family after visiting New York and Washington before heading back to the UK. I am a bit put off by reports of jet noise. Could you advise if it is constant or a few times a day, as some posts on Trip Advisor seem to suggest its non stop. I have teenagers. who like aircraft but also like to chill. Thank you.

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,112 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

See the previous discussions:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g58277…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g58277…

Yes, there is jet noise. Virginia Beach is next to a military installation.

If you are going to be in the DC area as part of your trip and using that as a point of departure for the beach, there are other beaches (Rehoboth, Delaware, or Ocean City, Maryland) which do not have the jet noise.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

It is not non stop. You may hear some or none at all.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

Yes, not all the time. Sometimes the fighter pilots are training especially and you get to see the fighter jets right over head or in the distance. Some people actually plan trips around where to see them so it can be exciting and beautiful to watch. Bring binoculars. I don't have to say bring a camera...everyone has some sort of photo-taking device anymore.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
358 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

Its not constant, and only occasionally disturbing. Lots of interesting aircraft to be seen. Ospreys, helps, fighters. Love to watch them heading out over the Atlantic.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

No it's not constant, depends on what training and maneuvers are being done. Even if it's only a fly over it's only noisy for a couple of minutes.

Can be loud in the resort area but not as noticeable more inland.

Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

Thank you everyone . It sounds better than other posts made out. We go to air shows so like jets and don't mind some noise so I think it will be ok.

Edited: 08 July 2017, 07:05
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

If you go to air shows you might affirmatively enjoy it. You'll likely see F/A 18's, various helicopters, and maybe the odd C-130. If you're super fortunate you'll see some F-22's out of Langley.

Hampton, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

There will always be some jet noise in the area as other have stated, but I assure you it is not non-stop noise. Some days there is none, others there can be quite a bit. Impossible to predict but I wouldn't let it keep you away.

Virginia
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

You might see/hear a couple planes a day. But when you go to the beach, you can't really hear it that much over the water. Especially if you're at the bay, can't recall ever having seen/heard a jet. Might just be because I'm used to it, but I have never heard that jets would be a deterrent from visiting the beach in VB.

10. Re: Virginia Beach Jet Noise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2018, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach