We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling for beginners

Louth, Lincs, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling for beginners

I have snorkelled under supervision in Kenya - gear provided and buoncy jacket provided.

I'm going to spend 5/6 nights in North Island around mid Nov 2009 and I would love to be able to experience that again in NZ.

Can someone recommend a good place to do this from? This is my 2nd trip to NZ and I would like to find a non-tourist place that could take me out & look after me. We are travelling using my daughter's car from Auckland so we are not restricted by tour itineries in any way.

Hoping that someone can recommend a good operator.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling for beginners

My suggestion would be to go out on The Perfect Day cruise, to the poor knights islands, just east of Tutukaka.

This is a leisure cruise operated by Dive! Tutukaka, and you go to some of the most spectacular snorkelling waters in NZ.

They have extremely experienced staff and would I am sure be happy to give you any assistance and help you require.

http://www.aperfectday.co.nz/

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling for beginners

I've thoroughly enjoyed my cruise to the Poor Knights Islands on A Perfect Day with Dive! Tutukaka - this is an amazing experience which combines good commentary, great skippering and wonderful crew who provide assistance for everyone to ensure their day is successful. Snorkelling is offered under close supervision for all levels.

Besides the vessel carrie kayaks available for all guests to paddle around the cliffs and caves in sheltered waters - again under close supervision. Another bonus is the tour of these protected islands and marine sanctuary.

Tutukaka is approx 2.5 hours north of Auckland city - then head east past the Whangarei Falls through Glenbervie - stonewall orchards and surrounding forestry. A new adventure within this area is a forest challenge course.

www.whangareinz.com

Cheers djci - Oh, and I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 years living in Lincoln city.

Louth, Lincs, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling for beginners

Many thanks everyone. The Perfect Day cruise is the one that I will make enquiries on. It sounds just the thing that I am looking for.

Thanks everyone

4. Re: Snorkelling for beginners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2009, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands