We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Lion Tours and Pinnacles Tours

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
29 reviews
Sea Lion Tours and Pinnacles Tours

I can't seem to find any info on sea lion tours running from Cervantes up to Greenhead or Pinnacles tours running from Cervantes . We are thinking about traveling in early January next year, possibly in a motor home with two kids aged 14 and 11. I would love any info / experiences either positive or negative about this !!!!! We are wanting to drive up to Exmouth and do the Ningaloo Reef .

Any advice is really appreciated as well as thoughts for a travel itinerary!!!

Thanks in advance

5 replies to this topic
York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
1,859 reviews
1. Re: Sea Lion Tours and Pinnacles Tours

If you have your own vehicle then why not just drive to each of these attractions? They are easy to reach from Cervantes.

If there are no tours from Cervantes its probably because they assume that people have a vehicle and those that don't have a vehicle would take tours from Perth.

But in any case, you can check by asking the tourist information service for that region: enquiries@visitpinnaclescountry.com.au (www.visitpinnaclescountry.com.au/tours.asp)

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
1,859 reviews
2. Re: Sea Lion Tours and Pinnacles Tours

Oh, and I love the route up to Ningaloo but do understand that January will likely be absolutely stinking hot!

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Sea Lion Tours and Pinnacles Tours

Hi and welcome to the WA forum. It will assist us if you could update your profile to include your home country.

Others will help you with Pinnacles but for me I wouldn't head there in the middle of summer.

For Sea Lion tour do you mean the one out of Rockingham?

http://penguinisland.com.au/#

You will find most locals will holiday in the South West and Great Southern in January as it is really hot here! Have a look at places such as Margaret River region, Denmark, Albany and Esperance. Wonderful coasts, beaches and forests, food and wineries.

I personally wouldn't head to Exmouth in January -long drive in the heat and potential of cyclones.

bom.gov.au/cyclone/history/wa/exmouth.shtml

exmouth.wa.gov.au/cyclone-information.aspx

Have a look through past posts on this forum-I think there has been recent discussion about heading to Exmouth in Nov/December.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
296 reviews
4. Re: Sea Lion Tours and Pinnacles Tours

I also wouldn't even consider going north that time of year - cyclone season and godawful hot.

I don't understand why you'd need a tour, unless you have concerns about driving the motorhome at the Pinnacles? It's pretty straightforward, you drive to the park, walk and or drive around the Pinnacles, visit the Discovery Center and then drive back to Cervantes. I have no idea if this is an issue with a motorhome, but even if it is, you can access the Pinnacles on foot from the Discovery Center carpark (not that I'd personally be in a walking mood that time of year).

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
1,859 reviews
5. Re: Sea Lion Tours and Pinnacles Tours

On the seals, I know there used to be a swimming trip out of Jurien Bay (just south of Green Head). A mate did it and loved it. But I heard that they aren't running any more. Maybe they have moved to Green Head - I'd check with the tourist information office that a trip is still running in the area.

On cyclones, that wouldn't stop me planning a motor home trip to Ningaloo - you'd be fairly unlucky for one to hit whilst you are there and if it does there should be a few days warning so you can pack up and drive a bit south again.

Its the heat that I'd be thinking about - and in a parked up motor home I imagine it could get brutal! I've actually been to Pinnacles, Monkey Mia and Ningaloo in January and got lucky - about 29 degrees in Pinnacles and Monkey Mia and 35 in Ningaloo. Beautiful actually. But it can be a lot, lot worse (i.e. 45+).

If you think you can hack the heat then I'm happy to give you a few tips on places to go.

Reply to: Sea Lion Tours and Pinnacles Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted