We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cervantes and Pinnacles Day Trip - Night Drive back

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cervantes and Pinnacles Day Trip - Night Drive back

Hi all,

I'm planning to rent a car and head to the Pinnacle and Cervantes for a day. I'd like to head back to Perth just after sunset. I was wondering if the Indian Ocean road is safe to drive after nightfall?

Appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Cervantes Bar and Bistro
$$ - $$$, Bar, Seafood, Australian
Cervantes Country Club
$$ - $$$, Seafood, Australian
Sea Breeze Cafe
$, Cafe, Seafood, Fast food
6 replies to this topic
Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cervantes and Pinnacles Day Trip - Night Drive back

The road itself is safe enough, but that is the time of day where you may encounter wildlife on the roads. Kangaroos, foxes etc. A kangaroo can do a lot of damage to a car.

If you are not used to driving on roads with largish wildlife I wouldn't drive at sunset.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
478 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cervantes and Pinnacles Day Trip - Night Drive back

I agree with Westaus211 but also be aware that some car rental companies don't allow driving at night on country roads outside of towns or rather their insurance does not cover you then

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cervantes and Pinnacles Day Trip - Night Drive back

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take your advice and head back while the sun is still out or maybe the next morning. Better safe than sorry, right? I read that the Pinnacles at sunset is extraordinary, is that right? Oh also, since there's a chance i'll be spending a night, does anyone know the schedule of the Jurien Charter Sea Lion tour? I could probably try to fit that in.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cervantes and Pinnacles Day Trip - Night Drive back

This Traveller article is quite useful with photos and some other nearby attractions if you are going there:

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g255103-i1623-Perth_We…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cervantes and Pinnacles Day Trip - Night Drive back

Just rang Jurien Bay Charter and Dive - they do the sea lion tour daily apparently, as long as there is at leas 2 people minimum, subject of course to weather.

http://www.juriencharters.com/sea-lion-tours/

They said that if you get to the office by 8.30 to be kitted out with mask, snorkel and what ever else you may need they generally leave about 9.30.

Hope this helps.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cervantes and Pinnacles Day Trip - Night Drive back

Hey Kerry1G,

Thanks so much to take the trouble to call them and all. Looks like I'm set then. Will be flying out to Perth in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Perth
Perth
Greater Perth, Australia
Reply to: Cervantes and Pinnacles Day Trip - Night Drive back
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted