We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Penneshaw a good base to discover KI in 3 days

Greater Adelaide...
8 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Is Penneshaw a good base to discover KI in 3 days

Myself, my 12 yo and my elderly mum are looking to do a 3night/4 day trip to KI in July.

Accommodation locations are proving to be my hardest decision.

We will have a car and loosely looking at;

Day 1 - arrive late morning and mooch around penneshaw/Kingscote/Emu Bay

Day 2 - seal bay / little Sahara / quad bike tour / vivonnne

Day 3 - remarkable rocks / admirals arch / Hanson sanctuary

Day 4 - winery lunch before afternoon ferry

I need to slot in reptile farm, eucalyptus distillery, honey farm and maybe a lighthouse once I look at where they are but I think they are all in the general direction of the areas we are heading.

Most things point to it being a bigger island than we think but I’m a competent driver and comfortable with 45min drives.

Any thoughts on accommodation location (Penneshaw / Kingscote / Island Beach / the otherside?) much appreciated.

And very open to an alternative itinerary

Thank you

2 replies to this topic
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
111 reviews
58 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Penneshaw a good base to discover KI in 3 days

We spent 6 full days on the island and nothing we visited was within 45 minutes of Penneshaw. We spent 2 nights in the Flinders Chase NP and 4 nights at Cygnet River near Kingscote. You'd be better off staying in Kingscote. Be aware that a day trip from Kingscote to Admirals Arch will involve about 3 hours driving.

Check out Island Beehive in Kingscote. Visiting Seal Bay and Raptor Domain on the same day makes sense - you drive past the latter to get to the former.

If you're visiting Admiral's Arch, visit the lighthouse at Cape du Couedic which is 5 minutes' walk away; however, it's not open for tours. Cape Borda is, but that road was in dreadful condition when we visited (early summer) and we could not drive faster than 40km/h, averaging around 30km/h. We didn't visit the Dudley Peninsula. There's a lighthouse there but I believe some of those roads are rugged, too.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
67 reviews
91 helpful votes
2. Re: Is Penneshaw a good base to discover KI in 3 days

+1 Loki. Penneshaw is not a good option. The island is >100kms long .

Reply to: Is Penneshaw a good base to discover KI in 3 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Penneshaw
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.