We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flamenco Beach Campground

D R
Culebra, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
198 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Flamenco Beach Campground

For our second trip to Culebra we will be camping at Flamenco for 2 or 3 nights. Does anyone know what condition the trail is in that goes up the hill at the back of the campground. Not the trail that goes to Carlos Rosario from the parking lot.

Curious about it as it is one of the two recommended Tsunami evacuation routes.

Edited: 11 February 2016, 01:41
Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flamenco Beach Campground

I'll be there next week. If we have a tsunami I'll save you a seat on top of the tank in the campground. If the water goes higher than that then it was God's will.

D R
Culebra, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
198 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flamenco Beach Campground

Ha I can just see that.. might work..:)

Having lived in Hawaii and Alaska Tsunami awareness is just ingrained. Not worried just seems basic to me that a person know which way to go just in case. Sadly for Puerto Rico if they have a local Seismic Event they won't get any warning. They could be flooded before the earthquake is over with the most likely faults being so close. At most if lucky they might get 10 minutes after the earthquake

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flamenco Beach Campground

Thank you for that Debbie Downer moment.

I never thought about it much but now I'm thinking I need a harness of some sort for my wife and myself that I can clip quickly to the top of that tank......and something to hold our drinks that has a cover.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flamenco Beach Campground

I know there are tsunami routes all over the island but still never gave it a second thought. I've lived across the street from the ocean most of my life. I can't worry about it. If my time is up, then my time is up.

D R
Culebra, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
198 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flamenco Beach Campground

Just seems odd not to be prepared when it usually only takes a few minutes of thought at most. Seemed like a simple question.. Is the old road out the back of Flamenco still passable ..or is it fully overgrown or well gated.

Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
318 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flamenco Beach Campground

Good for you, DR. I will put this on my future lists when I travel. You're so right. For something that only takes a few minutes to figure out, why not know ahead of time. :) I'd fly with you in my emergency row anytime!

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flamenco Beach Campground

My apology. If it helps, you want to head towards the right end of the beach away from the campground. There is a sizable hill on the opposite end from the campground. The ground there is much higher than anything near the campground. I suppose we'd need to know the height of the tsunami and the time available to make the best choice. I might even hop in my jeep and simply drive away.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flamenco Beach Campground

I am sure the trail is still there. It was well used when I was at the campground last year.

9. Re: Flamenco Beach Campground

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2017, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Culebra
Recent Conversations