We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

Ellston, Ia
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

We are getting super excited for our 5th trip to Culebra in less than a month.

I'm always curious if there are any members of the TA community that will be there at the same time. If so, where are you coming from?

D R
Culebra, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
188 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

I'll be there from the 2nd till 4th at least maybe longer or back later in my trip. If you see someone with a good sized red inflatable Kayak that will probably be me.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

We will be there March 13-22nd...another Iowan!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

We will be there Feb 28th thru March 8th. Get hold of me yes. We are from Wisconsin.

Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

Attn: Midwesterners

I'm from Minneapolis and have been traveling to ST John for many years. It's getting a bit overcrowded for me. I'm considering Culebra as a new "go to."

Can you tell me what you most love about Culebra and how do you travel there? Flying through San Juan on which airlines? Do you then fly to Culebra?

Thanks - Lisa

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

This is my first trip to Culebra and Vieques. I too am looking for less crowds, and I am sure I will find it here on these islands. I am looking forward to it.

Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

How you are flying down? Which airline?

D R
Culebra, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
188 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

I have used United and American to fly to San Juan. Great prices from Reno. $310 to $325 on a good day. I'll be there for my second trip this March (2nd to?) I rent from Alamo at SJU then park it at Fajardo. I will not get there early for the 9am ferry I will show up at 8:30 and either luck out or I will take the 3pm. Got a pretty good rate booking early and checking every day for best rates. ($27/day with tolls and tax and ins). I will be in PR for 2 weeks. With the car I can go where I want when I want. Leave CUlebra go to Viques..head back to main Island..whatever, whenever.

What do I like about Culebra? Some of the best off the beach snorkeling in the world (dont need a boat). No big resorts of cruise ships. Mellow local atmosphere. I will be camping on a beautiful beach in the Caribbean. My idea of nightlife is snorkeling with a flashlight. It is very easy to get away from people and have a beach to yourself or with maybe at most a handful of other happy people.

Much less expensive than Hawaii, Bahama's Bonaire..hell even Mexico if you want to have car.

It is getting very hard to find a place like this that does not require a boat to get to.

See ya all there in a few weeks..Look for the Red Inflatable Kayak..Say hi have a beer with us! So looking forward to it .

Edited: 06 February 2016, 05:45
Minneapolis, M
Level Contributor
316 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

So, DR, if I understand you correctly, you rent a car when you land in San Juan and take a car ferry to Culebra? You can also then take it to Vieques if you want?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

We are flying in from Milwaukee Delta. $175

Then we are taking puddle jumpers from there for the rest of the trip .

Isla Grande to Culebra $74. on Vieques air link.

Culebra to Vieques in the middle of the trip direct $45 with Flemanco airlines

Vieques to Culebra back $45

then a few days later Culebra to San Juan International $135

then from SJ to Mexico on American airlines $164.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Culebra bound March 1st through 8th

We just decided our time was worth the extra money to get to and from the ferry etc.

Get answers to your questions about Culebra