We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sargassum Seaweed

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sargassum Seaweed

Hi. There is a lot of news about huge amounts of seaweed on the beaches of the Caribbean. There are pictures online of piles of it under headings that say: "Seaweed Choking The Beauty Out Of The Caribbean." My family would like to take a trip to Culebra this winter, with the hopes of relaxing on beautiful beaches and snorkeling, neither of which will be possible if the stinky seaweed is covering the beach and the water. What is the status of the seaweed now in Culebra? Does anyone know of trends of the stuff - worse in summer? constant? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

Please search this forum, it will give you a list of all the discussions on this subject. Just search seaweed.

You should also search under the main Puerto Rico forum, you will get more hits.

Edited: 23 August 2015, 13:30
Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Yabucoa, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
13 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

I went there lately and the sea weed is no great problem however in Yabucoa and Palmas Del Mar, it is a major problem or a glorious spectacle depending on your point of view.

sanjuanweeklypr.com/pdf/Aug-21-15/local.pdf

this pdf file will show you many articles from the San Juan Star which should be of interest. Just scroll down from the big ad for some watch. I can't believe that they don't mention this sea weed situation!

If you are interested in ecology you might consider making a side trip to Yabucoa. Here's why.

Allow me to copy here what I just wrote. (It's long but hopefully useful.)

I want to review the wonderland of a beach which goes between the Port Area and Parador Palmas de Luquillo since sea weed which has come in on all the beaches in Puerto Rico has made the hike between the Inn (Parador) and the now popular Port area where we had a delicious fish dinner and took photos of the incredible views from the place (restaurant) named something like the Fishermen's Association.

What is incredible is that the Sargasso (sea weed) has built blackish castles between the path and the sea. Incredible.

The most incredible sight I have seen in PR for 32 years. Plus the hiking trail is really a number of trails and roads which let you wander all along the beach now which looks like someone landed from Pluto and left strange wastes.

People who say that global warming is a myth should try to explain why literally tons of this seaweed has washed ashore this year creating something like a haunted kingdom although the sea weed does stink but you can hike along above it where you don't smell it.

Oh, important warning: I nearly burned my feet hiking around 4 miles between the Parador and the Port. BTW, I talked to the owners of the Parador and told them that now I would give them 5*'s because the area surrounding them is as interesting to me as Macchu Pichu was years ago.

Unbelievable. People have been taking pictures like crazy but for some reason, the newspaper and press have been rather quiet about his phenomenon.

Perhaps the reason is that it could hurt business for Palmas del Mar, the huge development near Humacao. However anyone interested in Eco-Tourism would die to see this place.

Perhaps the sargasso could be used for fertilizer and I hope some nearby Biology Professors will examine what's going on, analyze how the sea weed decomposes and write a useful book

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Humacao
Humacao
Puerto Rico
Yabucoa, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
13 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

Somehow the name of the parador (inn)got messed up. It should be "Palmas de Lucía" let me just add that you can hike for miles amidst wonderful palm trees birds, etc. I love to run along these roads although now I can't run along the beach since it is so covered with Sargasso. Every inch of the way from the Port to the Inn.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
947 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

From a blog I follow. Written by a man living in Indiana but who visits Vieques with his wife several weeks a year.

…blogspot.com/2015/08/sargasso-seaweed.html

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Yabucoa, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
13 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

Oh by the way the Luquillo mentioned above for some reason, probably because I am almost falling to sleep, is one town over from where one takes the ferry to Culebra. The last time we took that ferry it was a huge hassle but once you are on Culebra you are in paradise. (No one pays me --this is just my humble opinion.)

I love Luquillo where my mother used to have an apartment. The balneario there (public beach) has a gorgeous sandy beach and the water is like a bath, so smooth and gentle. If you walk toward Playa Azul, another fairly wild beach, you will see a great collection of pelicans, egrets, various types of heron and of course sea gulls and gorgeous land.

If you want to see or experience a wilder beach you can drive a short distance to La Pared, the surfing beach which is spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Luquillo
Luquillo
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
82 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Yabucoa, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
13 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

I love your page. 5 thumbs up!!!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
922 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

Thanks for the link ScubaGirl!

Is Sargassum a seasonal issue or year round?

Yabucoa, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
13 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

This is unique. It has never happened before. Of course there has always been a little sea weed and the town's do a good job of keeping the beaches clean. There has never been anything this spectacular ever.

Some might blame a mixture of el niño, boats polluting the ocean and global warming. If you come to PR there are so many great beaches but this one has just gotten weird in a very interesting way. I have photos to post as soon as they arrive on my computer. I would say it might be like hiking around hot springs where you might not like the smell so much but actually I didn't notice it since the trail stays above the stuff most of the way.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
922 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

Thank you, Robert.

Machecoul, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sargassum Seaweed

It doesn’t seem 2016 will be better :

- According to the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association : caribbeanhotelandtourism.com/News2016-Feb-20…

- According to the South Florida University : …oyster.com/articles/…

- According to St Maarten Nature Foundation : todaysxm.com/nature-foundation-warns-new-sar…

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Florida
Florida
United States
Get answers to your questions about Culebra