We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheese and cured meats

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Cheese and cured meats

Hi everyone!

Just a quick check if we can bring cheese and cured meats back to the uk??

And the aloe Vera plant too.

We are not too sure, so any advice please.

Thank you all and have a lovely evening x

18 replies to this topic
york
Level Contributor
266 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Cheese and cured meats

We brought an Aloe Vera plant back home a few years ago and it's thriving in the back garden in full sun.

As for the cheese etc I don't see why not.

Osuna, Spain
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Cheese and cured meats

Yes, you can

https:/…food

South West England...
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
143 reviews
3. Re: Cheese and cured meats

Yes you can but we already have wonderful cheese and meats in uk.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Cheese and cured meats

Thank you :)

I’m in love with the goat cheese here. X

Leeds
Level Contributor
728 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Cheese and cured meats

Once we leave the EU the rules may change and the import of food could revert to pre 1973 regulations. i.e. you will need a permit. At the moment you are still OK

Corralejo, Spain
Destination Expert
for Corralejo, Canary Islands
Level Contributor
5,929 posts
159 reviews
6. Re: Cheese and cured meats

It's very likely that the EU free movement of goods won't apply to flights to/from the UK after Brexit, I'm afraid.

We went to Marrakech (Morocco) a short while ago. It's very French due to its past as well as being very Arab so we bought a lovely stinky Camembert in a French supermarket. Unfortunately, you can't bring any dairy products or meat products into or out of the EU as tourists, and I believe the same is true of plants. There are big signs up everywhere. It gets confiscated if declared, and confiscated plus a fine if they find it undeclared. They scan all cases before you get to leave airside.

Aloe vera is sold in lots of places with a similar climate and most of the cured meats sold here, which are extremely good, come from the peninsular. However, Fuerteventuran (aka Majorero) cheeses regularly win top prizes on the international scene and AFAIK aren't available in the UK unless imported directly from here.

Leeds
Level Contributor
728 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: Cheese and cured meats

According to UK border force the penalties for bringing in meat or dairy products are severe. Shot at dawn I believe. Still we are not out yet so make hay while the sun shines.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Cheese and cured meats

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for your explanation but I’m taking back into the UK, it still within the EU so think I’m ok for now :)

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Cheese and cured meats

Hi all,

Should i bring home these items via hand luggage or checked baggage ?

Thanks

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
130 reviews
10. Re: Cheese and cured meats

Checked (hold) luggage-packed away with any spirits/cigs &/or tobacco that you'll be bringing back. No need to declare on arrival unless you are over the allowed limit-however that's your choice!

Reply to: Cheese and cured meats
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corralejo
More Corralejo Topics