We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location and hotel for us

central, NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Best location and hotel for us

Hello, I am going to be traveling to Ischia next year and am confused about the best place to stay. We are 2 couples looking to stay in a nice hotel with access to the beach. We are only going to be staying for about 3 - 4 days and want to just relax and go into the town at night for dinner and to walk around a bit. Our priority is beach access, nice hotel, nice pool. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated. We are planning to travel in June... hopefully before it gets too crowded. Thank you!

NY, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location and hotel for us

Hi

f your plan is to just relax...I suggest that you stay Sant Angelo. It is a pedestrianized zone that is the most romantic spot on the island. There are many sandy beaches and spas there and nearby. You can take a bus to other towns for some sight seeing.

If you want to be in the action stay in Forio or Ischia Porto or Ponte. Definitely pay more for a hotel with a pool and nice views. Ischia Porto and Ponte have lot's to do and are great for many restaurant choices and walking around people watching...if that is your thing. There are many day trippers in these towns. For a quieter time stay in the hills just outside of Ischia Porto...so you can leave the hotel when you want to go to the beaches and action.

Take the round the island tour boat to see all the major towns...it is much better than the bus. Revisit towns by bus if you want. Must see places are the Castle Aragonese, if you like gardens La Mortella Russel Page gardens, and the walk between Ischia Porto and Ponte.

Try the local drink..Rucculo a dark tasty arugula liquor!

HAVE FUN!

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location and hotel for us

Hi

I agree entirely with 011NYC’s comments.

We’ve had two holidays in Ischia and we are still confused over the best hotel and place to stay. First hotel was the Villa Durrueli, mid-priced, decent pool, central to Ischia Town with good views of the Castle especially from the top floor balconies. It also has a very nice sandy beach with free sunbeds when we were there but I think there is a charge in peak season. Downside. The food wasn’t to our liking, the wine was 24E for the cheapest bottle although it was good quality, the restaurant has no sea views and if I remember, no windows either.

Second hotel was the Continental Mare and I thought it was much better. Nicely priced with two thermal pools; loads of gardens, sea views from almost everywhere including the restaurant, cheap but good quality wine, fabulous food, great staff and a small, private beach. It also has a free bus into town but it stops running at about 18:00. If you want to chill out and relax then this is the place to be. Downside. It has lots of steps, it’s a ten minute walk into Ischia Port mostly down a dirt track, the beach is a thin strip of sand located down 115 steps and you have to walk over small rocks to get into the sea, but hey, it’s free and you have deck chairs but no sunbeds down there. I like swimming in the sea and that little beach was great fun.

We also had a look inside the hotel Il Moresco and it looks superb although it has no real sea views. It does have a fabulous beach area with loads of sunbeds and views of the castle. Is it worth a grand each extra? I don’t know but given the choice I would probably stay here next time. We also went into the nearby Punta Molino and it’s about as good as it gets but it’s very pricy. Both of these hotels are in Ischia Town, in my opinion the best place to stay. Lastly, we had a good look inside the impossibly expensive Regina Isabella in Forio and all I can say is, “wow.”

Have a look at the Tripadvisor reviews and, er, pay your money and take your choice. Ischia is a fabulous island with loads of great towns, restaurants, shops and above all…sandy beaches. I’m sure you’ll have great fun wherever you choose to stay.

Eddie

3. Re: Best location and hotel for us

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Ischia
Recent Conversations