We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering two weeks in Granada

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
Considering two weeks in Granada

We have a bunch of questions--would like some help, please. We are seniors in our sixties In the past we spent a very pleasant week in San Miguel de Allende MX in a casa.

Is the heat terribly uncomfortable? We are from the south.

Price of a cup of coffee? Meal costs? Taxi costs?

Are there bakeries and coffee shops to sit and people watch?

If you walk to the lake what is there?

What do we need to know about casa location ? What should I ask owner about location?/ backup utilities?

Considering late Nov, early Dec--OK?

What time do folks eat at night in restaurants?

I don't want to be on a guilt trip the whole time. Is poverty overwhelmingly present?

Is the mercado tourist friendly?

Any help with planning would be appreciated, Has someone published a tourist guide with this kind of info?

Looking at VRBO #'s: 200059 241145 278984

Dave

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Considering two weeks in Granada

Granada is the perfect place, i saw the houses that you plan to rent and i will highly recommend Casa Gallo, the hose is gorgeous and the owners are very nice.

s the heat terribly uncomfortable? We are from the south. Bein in a house like Casa Gallo you can easilu beat the heat since they have ceiling fans, sir conditioning in the rooms, outside it can get hot but the best thing about Granada is that you always have the lovely breeze frm the lake.

Price of a cup of coffee? Meal costs? Taxi costs? A cup of coffee will about US$1.00 depending on where you have it. A meal will be between US$5.00 - US$10.00 again depending where you eat. Taxi most times will be C$10.00 cordobas which is equivalent to 50 cents US

Are there bakeries and coffee shops to sit and people watch? I will recommend Cafe Don Simon right across central park

If you walk to the lake what is there? Not much unles you go to the port to catch a boat to go to the islands, i will saty away from the lake aerea specially late afternoon and getting into the night.

What do we need to know about casa location ? What should I ask owner about location?/ backup utilities?Casa Gallo is in a good location, quiet neighborhood and it has and the facilities to make your stay comfortable.

Considering late Nov, early Dec--OK? Good time

What time do folks eat at night in restaurants? about 7-8:00pm

I don't want to be on a guilt trip the whole time. Is poverty overwhelmingly present? lots of people begging, like in other countries.

Is the mercado tourist friendly? Yes you can go to the market and be safe. I hope the information helps you out, i am sue other people will reply to your post as well. If you need further information before you come to Granad aor once you are here let me know, rodolfo.nicaragua@hotmail.com

Edited: 14 March 2010, 09:04
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Considering two weeks in Granada

Wonderful response--thank you

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Considering two weeks in Granada

Hi,

I think the previous post is great and I would just add that my parents (in their 60s) often need a period of adjustment to the heat when they come visit from the USA. That said, November/December are for sure not the hottest times.

When considering houses, ask if they are on quiet streets. Street noise can be a bit bothersome, especially close to Calle Calzada. Also, make sure they have a back up water tank.

Enjoy your visit!

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Considering two weeks in Granada

Casa Gallo has all that and more.

MA
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Considering two weeks in Granada

Hi there,

we rented a casa in Granada in December of 08 through GPS nicaragua (Casa Agua Luna). It was awesome! it was on Calle La Libertad a little bit out of the city center but still easily walkable to central park area. These guys were really good to us and great to work with!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
6. Re: Considering two weeks in Granada

We chose two weeks in Nov and Casa Gallo for our stay. I have started asking those questions (taxis) that I always liked answered so i can hit the ground running for groceries and first meals out.

For instance, what do folks there use for cream in their coffee. There seemed to be no cream (not crema) in San Miguel Allende Mx.

7. Re: Considering two weeks in Granada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2010, 22:10
8. Re: Considering two weeks in Granada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Granada
Recent Conversations