We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snake/lizard hunt

2 posts
1 review
Snake/lizard hunt

Hello!

Just arrived to Koh Chang and was wondering if any one would like to go on a herp trip these next couple of days? Hoping to get a glimps of the green pit viper.

Best regards, Eric

16 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

I'm not there at the moment but I'll give you some pointers anyway.

I've seen that particular snake only in the north of the island, and in the north it seems very common. I would say every 5 times I go into the jungle, I will see it once or twice. I'm not saying it isn't in the south, just that I've never seen it there.

I've seen it at Klong Phlu waterfall (at night), Klong Nonsi waterfall, Kai Bae waterfall (the furthest south I've found one) and Klong Son waterfall.

They let you get really close for photos and never move an inch until you touch them.

More generally indochinese rat snakes are the most common snake on Koh Chang, if you go all the way around the island you're likely to see at least one crossing the road. Golden tree snakes are everywhere too. I've seen a krait and a monocled cobra in and around Klong Son riverbeds. I've never seen any snakes in the mangroves anywhere on Koh Chang (apart from some small shed skins), maybe I've just been unlucky. There are 2 walks through the mangroves.

2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

That sounds very promising. Really appreciate your answer, thank you!

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

If you take a jungle trek you'll nearly always see a snake or two near a river. The guide will know where to look for them.

6 posts
4. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

Very helpful tips. However the rivers are almost dry right now and even the guides say the snakes are gone for the time being. Any tips in this situation? I still have one week on the island and would really love to see a pit viper.

Thanks!

Edited: 11 February 2018, 00:38
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

Maybe go further up the riverbeds. None of them run completely dry, you just have to walk further. It's not so easy to walk though because a lot of the trails don't follow the rivers so far, they stop at the waterfalls or go uphill to a viewpoint.

I'll be on Koh Chang by the 15th/16th so if you're still there then send me a message on here and maybe I can show you a few spots. I don't often go to Koh Chang in high season though so maybe the guides are right.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

By the way I found a dead green viper in BKK about a month ago, 100 metres from Sukhumvit RD and a BTS station. I had no idea they'd be in densely populated areas like that.

6 posts
7. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

Interesting find. I think it might be a white-lipped pit viper, the only green one that might come close to humans.

I'm here on 15, Kai Bae beach, and have nothing planned. I'm up to anything and would love to meet and trek. On 16 I leave for BKK unfortunately.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

I'll message you if I can make it in time.

6 posts
9. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

Cool, looking forward to it, just let me know

In the mean time I spent about 4 hours scouting the river up to Klong Phlu, the only one with a decent anount of water.I found a checkerred keelback snake and a calotes emma, which are both nice but common reptiles. The little green beauty is nowhere to be found. I'll try again today.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Snake/lizard hunt

That river also has some kind of rare/endangered turtle, in the big pool (maybe not so big in dry season) where the friendly fish are about half way along the waterfall trail.

I'm arriving on Koh Chang tomorrow morning about 7am so we'll probably miss each other, but let me know what else you find.

Reply to: Snake/lizard hunt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted