We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Middlebury Inn

Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
Middlebury Inn

Considering a night at the Middlebury Inn this summer. Would love to hear if you have stayed here. Would like to know the difference between the "main inn" and the Porter House Mansion besides one being in a mansion. lol. Are the rooms in the main inn still quaint? Some of the reviews seem downright scary, yet many are wonderful. A few mentioned that the place was run down. Wonder if the bad reviews were in a certain part of the Inn? If we stayed here we would stay either in the Main Inn or the Porter House Mansion, not the two annexes.

5 replies to this topic
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Middlebury Inn

Since no one has responded I'll throw in my 2 cents. Disclaimer: I have never stayed there or been in any of the guest rooms.

Since I live in the area though, I have been in the inn for a couple functions and also for the day spa.

The inn is OLD. Run down? I don't find the public/common areas to be. It is a historic inn, so if you are looking for modern/trendy you won't find it there.

Location is fantastic. Right in town, walk to shops and restaurants.

Hopefully someone who has stayed there recently will chime in!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
638 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Middlebury Inn

I haven't been there but if you decide not to stay, I can recommend the main house at the Swift House Inn in Middlebury, which I really enjoyed staying at.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
172 reviews
3. Re: Middlebury Inn

I last stayed in the Midd. Inn. about 8 years ago, in the main part of the Inn. At that time, the rooms were comfortable -- not run down at all. As with many older properties, every room is different -- some smaller, some larger. As an alternative to the Middlebury Inn, if you want to stay in downtown Middlebury, you might consider the Inn on the Green, which is a B&B just about next door to the Midd. Inn. Swift House Inn is very nice; it's walkable to the center of town, but not quite as close to the center as the Midd. Inn. or Inn on the Green.

Level Contributor
64 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Middlebury Inn

Thanks all. I reserved the Jessica Swift room at The Swift House Inn. So glad you mentioned it. Somehow I missed this inn in my search. Very excited for our trip this summer. We flying into Albany, driving to Middlebury one night, then two nights in Woodstock and one night in Manchester. What are your recommendations for "not miss" sights?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Middlebury Inn

What are your interests? Hiking? Shopping? Museums? History? There is plenty to do in the area but knowing your interests will help us guide you with some specific answers.

Some ideas for Middlebury. Hike the Falls of Lana trail. Go swimming at Branbury State Park. Visit the National Museum of the Morgan Horse right in town and then go visit the UVM Morgan Horse Farm. Take a stroll through Middlebury College. Take in a show at the Town Hall Theater if there is one on the night you are there. Take a walk on the TAM (Trail around Middlebury). Visit Lincoln Peak Winery, Otter Creek Brewing, Drop in Brewing, and Woodchuck Cider (if they are open yet - currently building a new facility-not sure when it will be open). If you are there on a Saturday or Wednesday morning go to the Farmer's Market. Plenty of shops and restaurants to choose from in town.

Reply to: Middlebury Inn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Middlebury