We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington bikeway to south hero

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Burlington bikeway to south hero

We are riding the causeway to south hero. After we get off the cut, we want to continue biking. we like nice flat easy riding, with shoreline access. No route 2 or any other major road. We are novice riders. Any suggestions to make this girls trip a success. We wIll stay one night at a b & b. (Not sure which one yet). We would like to head up to grand isle. And maybe sand bar. A loop for us would be great, but I'm having a hard time navigating the roads on the Internet.

Bistro De Margot
$$$$, French, Contemporary, European
Pho Hong
$, Asian, Vietnamese
Penny Cluse Cafe
$$ - $$$, American, Cafe, Contemporary
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington bikeway to south hero

First, you need to make sure the bike ferry is operating in order to get to South Hero. localmotion.org/programs/…bike-ferry

Once you complete the causeway to South Hero, keep going straight to Martin Road, right on South Street, and then left on West Shore Road. It is a mix of paved road and dirt road but the dirt parts are in good condition and fine for just about any bike other than a true road/racing bike. It is relatively flat with a few rolling hills, lots of views out over the lake. If you're into wine, stop at the Snow Farm vineyard on your right not too long after getting onto West Shore Road. You can take West Shore Road all the way up to Grand Isle.

You're not going to make it to sand bar without biking on Route 2 back across to the main land. There's a very big shoulder on Route 2 and lots of people bike on it, but cars and trucks travel very fast and it is heavy traffic especially on a nice weekend day, so it wouldn't be a really relaxing bike ride.

There's no way to loop back to Burlington via the main land without taking Route 2 all the way to Route 7, at which point you could bike along Mallet's Bay and back to Burlington but you will see a lot of traffic on that route. I'd probably head back to Burlington via the same way you came.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington bikeway to south hero

South Hero is going to be ideal for you. Plenty of flat, easy riding with shoreline access!

From the causeway, go north on South Street. And then left onto West Shore Road. Paved, reasonably flat, not much traffic at all and goes right along the shore.

Most of the shore land there is privately owned so you won't have much opportunity to access the water directly.

It's very difficult to do a "loop" on South Hero without using Rt 2 for part of it.

So I'd suggest you go north to Rt 314, turn right (west) and go on that until you hit Rt 2.

Go South on 2 until you get back to South Street. From there, peddle back down to the Causeway.

That's about a 14 mile loop.

Biking on South Hero is a lot of fun.

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington bikeway to south hero

West Shore Road turns to dirt about a mile after leaving South Street and remains dirt until it meets up with Route 314 about 5 miles later. But it is well maintained and perfectly fine for casually biking with friends.

The name of the road is also a little misleading as it only on the "shore" in a few spots where you will have great views over the lake, but the majority of the road is traversing rolling open meadows and wooded areas.

I ran a half marathon last fall that went out and back W Shore Road almost to Route 314. Very beautiful area and it would be a great bike ride on a nice summer day.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington bikeway to south hero

Thanks Adam. I stand corrected on the pavement.

I rode West Shore Road last summer and it really was beautiful, easy riding. So easy, in fact, that I remembered the road as being paved.

Anyhow, thanks for setting that straight, and Happy Mud Season!!!!!!!!!

Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington bikeway to south hero

Yes it is a beautiful stretch of road. And it's worth mentioning again that a stop at Snow Farm Vineyard is worthwhile. You can bring your own food and picnic right on their lawn.

6. Re: Burlington bikeway to south hero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2016, 16:16