We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort recommendations

South Carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Resort recommendations

If you are planning a ski trip during mid April in the Park City/Snowbird area, do you think you're safe to assume there will be enough snow?? The resorts seem to be open, so I am assuming things will be fine. Mid April just seems pretty late in the season (obviously, I am new to the snow thing)! Do you have any recommendations of places to stay for a family with small children? Everything I hear about Snowbird makes me think we need to look elsewhere. We'd like to stay somewhere that is easy to access everything. I don't mind coming in from the day and then going out for dinner, but i don't want to have to be hauling stuff around all day. Any information you could provide would certainly be appreciated! I just don't even know where to start or what I should be looking for. We have never gone skiing before or been in the Utah area - or even anywhere close! Thanks!

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort recommendations

First of all, your exact dates for travel are important in considering all this. Go the first of second week so you have choices. Alta will be open until Easter Sunday. Perhaps the next weekend also if traffic permits but not mid week. There is no doubt that Snowbird is not the best choice for beginners but that's not to say it will be hell either. The Chickadee lift is the best for learning to get on and off the lift (which is crucial for small kids). The hill is very small and manageable the first day to get your balance. Skiing always require a bit of schlepping gear, sorry to say, and the altitude will be something to get used to while carrying everything around. If you stay at the Cliff Lodge at Snowbird, I think your whole family will have a good experience. The spa and pools there are great for down time.There is a game room, some shopping, and some restaurants. You can get on and off the bus so easily there to get to Alta. It is a town legally-but really it is just two resorts right next to each other. You can get discounts for renting equipment for several days in a row and all there are lockers you can keep everything in. When you dont have other resort choices-Snowbird will be just fine for beginners. But with 3 other choices if you come earlier in April, I would recommend Alta but stay at Snowbird. All the resorts are beautiful and each will have different end of season closing dates. I bet most will be Easter Sunday.Snowbird usually closes for a few days and then re-opens limited runs. I don't advise those runs for beginners. When it says kids free-that is lift passes yes. Other resorts do this also. Take advantage of it. There is a pass that will let you go from Snowbird to Alta and back. IT's an adventure that I wouldn't recommend for beginners, at all. Maybe on your third day if you are all feeling good about the heights and have gone to the top several times already. So just buy individual passes at each resort. Be sure to bring and wear lots of sunscreen. #30 or hgiher and reapply often. Don't over dress and drink lots of water. Beginners work harder and you will sweat a lot. Take lessons first day to get oriented to the gear and everything else. Save your marriage, go, have fun! Some of it you can plan on the fly like rental equipment and where to ski but do decide where to stay. Snowbird Cliff is my favorite because of all the amenities.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort recommendations

Bless you!

Elizabethtown...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort recommendations

Saphirebluez answered you perfectly - we stayed however at the Old Town Guest House - which was within walking distance of everything in Park City - just in case the resorts are full.

Kris

Park City, Utah
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort recommendations

We decided to stay in Park City. We stayed at the Old Town Guest House and could not have been happier!! The Inn is in such a great location and it was the most reasonably priced lodging in town. We checked with the hotels out at the Kimball Junction and Old Town Guest House had better rates!! The amenities are endless, the Innkeeper is so helpful and the breakfasts great. We will be bring our entire family back in the 07-08 season.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort recommendations

carored:

We've skied in Utah the past two Aprils. In 2006 we arrived approx. April 6th and there was plenty of good snow at all the resorts and all were open. It also snowed while we were there and the skiing was fantastic. In 2007, we arrived March 31st. The seasonal snowfall was well below average and the only resorts worth skiing were Alta and Snowbird. So who knows what it will be like next year.

Easter 2008 is early (March 23rd). I have no idea how, if at all, this will effect the resort closing dates. My guess is that the resorts get a spring "bump" around Easter because schools are out and families go on ski vacations. After Easter, lift ticket sales undoubtedly drop, which may be a factor when resorts consider closing dates.

If Alta is open, ski there. They have a great ski school for you as well as a beginner section on the mountain. Probably by around the end of September, Alta's website will post a tentative closing date (as will the other resorts). Snowbird will almost certainly be open, based on past closing dates.

Why not consider staying at a hotel in Salt Lake City? There are dozens to choose from, from budget to luxury to something in between. You will be little more than 1/2 hour from seven ski resorts and you can choose where you want to ski depending on what is open and the conditions.

At any rate, I am sure you will enjoy your vacation for no other reasons than the wonderful scenery and friendly locals.

Park City, Utah
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort recommendations

We stayed at the Old Town Guest House as well. It was perfect for us. Deb, the Innkeeper is the Lead Guide for Ski Utah's Interconnect tour. On this tour you ski six ski areas in a day. It is great for the hardcore skier that is physically fit. We loved it! It totally reminded us of skiing in Europe where we stayed in an awesome "Zimmer" and the innkeeperg guided us. If you are planning a ski trip, Old Town Guest House is a must. We have a standing reservation for the next few years.

7. Re: Resort recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 11:19