We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowbird '09 - Big Snowboard Trip...questions for the locals

Milford
2 posts
Save Topic
Snowbird '09 - Big Snowboard Trip...questions for the locals

Hi, I posted this under captmorgan222's thread, but since his was started over a year ago, I think it was getting lost at the bottom. Anyway...

I'm planning a big snowboard trip to Snowbird in 2009 - we all used to live in Vail/Aspen so we're very seasoned riders. Looking for a good mix of powder and spring riding...do you think March 11-15 would be a good time to go?

Also, I found online that Powder Mountain (north of SLC) has cat and heli-skiing options...does anyone have any experience with that location or know of anywhere closer to Snowbird that offers it?

Lastly (for now!) which are your top three mountains in the area (snowboard friendly of course).

Any other local tips (cheap/good places to eat, things to do in the area, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help.

Orem, Utah
Level Contributor
510 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowbird '09 - Big Snowboard Trip...questions for the locals

Theres a helipad at Snowbirds base with a ski operation running off of it. I think that its Wasatch Powderbirds but I'm not sure. If that isn't it, that is one in the area.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,903 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowbird '09 - Big Snowboard Trip...questions for the locals

Here's a few tips for you. Yes, checkout powderbird.com for heli information. They operate out of Snowbird but also go elsewhere. The company's been around for a while and is considered reliable.

Another option would be Brighton/Solitude in the next canyon north. Honeycomb Canyon is FABULOUS.

Powder Mountain would be a great adventure. They have ENORMOUS terrain, much of which is served by cat skiing. Between Powder Mountain and Snowbasin you would have two really great options up there (Wolf Mountain would be a third). Powder Mountain and Snowbasin are both hidden gems. Snowbasin was the Olympic downhill venue. I was actually there today (first time since Olympics) in a raging blizzard. They don't get much business, so you're always in for a powder treat. Staying in Ogden would be cheap. We really like Ogden, which is now the home of many major outdoor industry companies.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Ogden
Ogden
Wasatch Range, UT
3. Re: Snowbird '09 - Big Snowboard Trip...questions for the locals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 09:15