We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 2/24-3/2

Which Park City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
137 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 2/24-3/2

Arrived in SLC on Friday 2/24. Met others in party, picked up rental car. The car is not needed, but we like the flexibility of having it when we want it and not depending on our resort shuttle. Went to Costco for lift tickets. About ten minutes away, so it was very easy. They sell a 5 pack for Park City for $314.99 and a 2 pack for the Canyons for $129.99. I have used Liftopia in the past but preferred Costco. These are individual tickets that can be used by anyone in the group and the prices were better than Liftopia. The Canyons tickets allow you to go straight to the lift. At Park City you must take the 5 pack booklet to the ticket window and they stamp the number of coupons you wish to use and give you the appropriate number of tickets. Do not tear them out of the book on your own! Right across the street is Wasatch Brewery (the actual brewery) so we stopped and bought some beer.

We own a 4 BR timeshare at Westgate Park City so we drove there and checked in. Upon arrival, 21 year old son was stricken with food poisoning. I spent the first night in the hospital with him (very impressed with both the facility and the staff if anyone ever needs to go there!) while the rest of the group went to Maxwell's for dinner. Everyone was happy with their dinner. Nothing fancy but adequate, very good pizza I was told.

As for the skiing. Not tons of snow when we arrived. Many of the south facing glades had thin coverage but most of the mountain is open (Canyons). Skied Canyons 5 of 6 days and Park City one day. From Monday - Thursday, over 3 feet of snow fell. Great skiing! Word of caution for first time visiters to the Canyons. To get down at the end of the day, you either ride the gondola down or you have to take the Shortcut Lift and then ski down from there. Many people just head in the direction of the gondola and assume you can just ski down from there - wrong! As we do every year, we enjoyed lunch at Lookout Cabin at the Canyons. It is a good idea to make a reservation there. Nice sit down lunch with beautiful views and great food. Red Pine Lodge is right at the gondola so it is always the most crowded, although it is a good central meeting place. To avoid the crowds we often eat at Sun Peak Lodge or Cloud Dine.

Meals - We ate at Easy Street in Park City. I thought my reservation was for downstairs but it turns out it wasn't. Turned out fine, there was live music down there and it was very loud. Good food and the menu offered something for everyone in our group. Had a really good dinner at The Farm at the Canyons. Less variety to the menu, I personally didn't find too many things on the menu that appealed to me but my meal was very good. At upstairs in the bar at High West. It seems every time we have tried to go there, there is a private party being held. We were able to get a small table in one of the little rooms off of the bar. Very inventive menu and for what I consider really a bar, they have great, creative food. Our other meal out was at an Italian place at Kimball Junction. Sorry, forget the name but it next to the movies and across from Red Rock. Food was fine, but service was not. Very slow! They told us they were short staffed that evening but nonetheless it was not good. Also they charged a $15 corkage fee which seems quite high to me.

Many people ask which mountain is their favorite. We love all three of the area resorts. This time we stuck to just two however. They both offer something for everyone. At Park City we love the McConkey and Jupiter Bowls and at Canyons we love 9990 and the Pines trees and Aspen trees. Friends of ours moved from here in CT to Park City 5 years ago and they have had season passes to Park City since they moved there. Next year however, they are going to switch to the Canyons. It is all a matter of personal preference. Also, next year there will be a gondola linking Canyons with Solitude so for an added fee you will be able to access the terrain of two mountains in the same day.

All in all, another great visit to Park City!

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
619 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 2/24-3/2

Sounds like a great trip! (Other than the food poisoning!). So glad you had great snow, and you definitely ate at many of my favorite spots. Just fyi- the SkiLink between Canyons and Solitude has a LOOOOONG way to go to actually happen. It's currently a bill in the US House and Senate and hasn't moved since December. From the reading I've been doing, most locals are very opposed to this plan, both in theory and in the very back-handed manner in which Talisker is using money and politics to get around current land laws and avoid engaging the local public in the debate. So, sorry for rambling on but just wanted to clarify that there will NOT be this Ski Link next year for sure...and in my opinion, hopefully there never will be! Glad you enjoyed your trip! Here's a link to the current status of the project if interested:

firsttracksonline.com/2011/…

2. Re: Trip report 2/24-3/2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:42
Get answers to your questions about Park City