We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

We now have a spare day on our trip in May and would like to try and get a walk-in permit for the Coyote Buttes North. We will be around Bryce Canyon/GC North Rim so it's not a million miles out of the way.

If we were to make a trip out earlier the day before to try and get one what do you think the chance is to get one around the 20th-23rd May (not sure exactly when). If it's really small as lots of people go it's not worth going 4 hours out of the way but if it might be about 50% then we will take the chance. There will be three of us.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,389 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

Sorry, not many hikers on TripAdvisor, I guess.

Keep in mind it's really two days. One day you go for the lottery and the passes are given out for the next day. Winners return the next day for the hike.

There's several terrific hikes in that area and the ranger at that station can give you maps, directions, etc. It's never a wasted day.

Another alternative is to show up at the time of the lottery and then offer to buy out someone's winning permit. There's no law against it and it's been done before.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,524 posts
158 reviews
2. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

Your chances depend entirely on how many other people come. The fact that you are before summer, and on a non-weekend would seem to make it more possible. But I haven't been there on a day in May so couldn't tell you.

Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

Thanks guys, thought it was a long shot to find someone who has some knowledge of what the average amount of people trying for a permit might be at this time but doesn't hurt to ask. We are gonig to give it a shot anyway.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
138 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

Any update here? Anyone else ever have any luck in getting a permit the day before?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
258 posts
129 reviews
5. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

I've always been amazed how many people show up for the permits in the ranger station even on weekdays.

Best bet is to plan ahead and just get a permit 6 months in advance and stick to it.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
455 reviews
6. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

Even putting in for the passes in advance through the lottery system is not a sure thing. But it is probably the better way to go. I put in for the lottery for passes in October, but, alas, did not get picked. I'll keep trying.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
455 reviews
7. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

Even putting in for the passes in advance through the lottery system is not a sure thing. But it is probably the better way to go. I put in for the lottery for passes in October, but, alas, did not get picked. I'll keep trying.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
258 posts
129 reviews
8. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

use the calendar option not the lottery option.

U.K
Level Contributor
184 posts
79 reviews
9. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

Regarding the hike,my husband who is not a hiker in the strictest sense would love to do this walk for the photographic opportunities.

I however do not want to do it but am worried, if he were lucky enough to get a pass about him doing the walk on his own.

Is there a way round this this ?Are there any organised tours /walks etc.

I have read lots of reports about people losing their way and never finding The Wave.

Thanks

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
138 posts
46 reviews
10. Re: Chances of walk-in permit for The Wave in May ???

I wouldnt advise anyone to waste their time with the Wave. We didn't get selected in the lottery and found the whole thing to be highely unorganized and really was the biggest waste of our trip. Antelope canyons were amazing and would be guarantee to get in, unlike this bs.