We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park City --> Green River in December

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Park City --> Green River in December

Hello, I am planning a trip down to Green River in late December/early January to visit some of the parks. We will be renting a car in Park City and driving down. How are the roads? Is there a lot of snow? Do we need an AWD vehicle? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
7 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,033 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park City --> Green River in December

The roads from Park City, depending on what route you take, are a combination of freeway and good two lane roads. Because the roads are major transportation corridors in the area, every effort is made to keep them clear of snow.

It's impossible to know at this time how much snow there will be at the end of December. Could be none, a little or a lot. That said, unless there's an active snowstorm on your day of travel, you should have no problem driving this route. If it were me, I'd want at least a front wheel or AWD.

Curious..are you planning on using Green River as a base to visit Utah national parks? Hope not. Gren River is an hour from Moab, a couple of hours from Capitol Reef and 4 hours or more from Bryce and Zion. You need to stay at each park to visit them. Additionally, other than Ray's Tavern, there's little in the way of dining options in Green River, and there are just a few lodging options.

Edited: 17 August 2016, 01:17
Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
Moab
Moab
Utah
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,567 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Ray's Tavern
Ray's Tavern
696 Reviews
Green River, UT
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park City --> Green River in December

Thank you for your response. Most of the vehicles I looked at for renting are front wheel drive so that will work out fine.

Yes, we were planning on staying in Green River and visiting Capital Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Goblin Valley, and San Rafael Swell. I read that Green River was a good hub for these areas. We don't have a lot of time in the area and it seemed easier to return to one place each night instead of picking up and moving every day. What do you think?

Also, we will be in the area for New Year's Eve...do you know of any events in Moab or surrounding areas that we could visit?

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,033 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park City --> Green River in December

To visit these places you need to be based in Moab, not Green River. You are setting yourself up for a minimum of a 2 hour round trip commute every day. With shorter hours of daylight, you're reducing the amount of time you'll have in the parks. While a winter storm wouldn't be too likely in the Moab area, they do happen. So you could have a difficult drive back to your accommodation in Green River if there is one. Other than hanging out in your hotel room, there will be very little to do in Green River when the sun goes down. Moab has a large variety of restaurants, etc. and if all else fails a movie theater to kill some evening time. I have no idea about New Years Eve activities in Moab. I spend New Years Eve in SLC.

Edited to add: For Capitol Reef, you need to be in Torrey Ut. You can stop by Goblin Valley on the transition from Moab.

Edited: 17 August 2016, 02:10
Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,567 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park City --> Green River in December

Thanks again. Do you have any recommendations for places to stay in Torrey and Moab?

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,033 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park City --> Green River in December

Our favorite place in Moab is Gonzo Inn. I haven't stayed anywhere else in Moab. Do a search of TA for hotel listings and reviews. You would want to be in the center of town for easy access to restaurants etc.

In the winter, there will probably be only two options in Torrey - the Days Inn and the Broken Spur. You can also search for a broader choice using "hotels near Capitol Reef". There is at least one resort type property between Torrey and Capitol Reef. I don't know if it's a seasonal operation.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,567 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park City --> Green River in December

Thank you so much for your help! I will take a look at the Gonzo Inn and see what else I can find in Torrey.

Mentioned in this post
The Gonzo Inn
The Gonzo Inn
827 Reviews
Moab, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park City --> Green River in December

Good info from Connie. I would base the time in Moab and Torrey. Both are very small towns, but Torrey has a year round population of less than 200. Not sure of your overall itinerary, but I might try to plan NYE for Park City or even Salt Lake. Between Torrey and Moab, try for Moab.

The issue with snow can be real. But there is no way of knowing until you are in the area. Might not snow the entire time you're in the state. AWD is nice and also try to get a vehicle with winter tires rather than all-season. If it snows heavily it could alter travel plans until roads are clear.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Reply to: Park City --> Green River in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Green River