We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In what order should I do these Hikes?

Sarasota
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In what order should I do these Hikes?

Hello.

The wife and I are spending 2 weeks in Utah doing the circuit of national parks.

Our first night is in Green River. While there, we want to do both Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse Canyon. It sounds like LWH Canyon is the more "strenuous" or longer of the two hiking places.

Can you help with the order of the hiking in terms of which to do first?

Also, but maybe not in this forum is the hike in the Needles called Chesler Park + Joint Trail which is about 11 miles. We plan to leave Moab that morning, early, and drop off our luggage in Monticello, and then head to Needles and do this trail. I get mixed reviews about this trail in respect to the difficulty one might have in "following and staying" on this trail. Some say no problem, and others say they got lost in several places. Any info about this would help.

Also, I found two different trail head for this on this site. One says at the Squaw Flat Camp Ground and another says at Elephant Hill. Which of these is best to begin the 11 mile hike?

Thanks for your help.

Steven

6 replies to this topic
Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In what order should I do these Hikes?

At the Needles it might help to have a print-out of the map with trails that you can carry with you. There are signs posted at each intersection and I never got lost. I started at Elephant Hill. Bring plenty of water.

Here is the basic website: http://www.nps.gov/cany/index.htm

About nine inches from the top on the left is a gray bar PARK TOOLS. Under that you click on the VIEW PARK MAP.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In what order should I do these Hikes?

Goblin Valley doesn't have a trail, per se. It's just a bunch of unique rock formations that you can climb on, wander through, etc. You could spend 30 minutes or a few hours in the goblins. I might get a jump on LWHC to beat any crowds and then go to Goblin Valley where you can wander at your own leisure.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In what order should I do these Hikes?

I wouldn't really call either Goblin Valley or LWHC strenuous. No particular sequence would be better or worse. With LWHC, you do have to watch for flash flooding. While very rare, it does happen. In general, weather comes more in the afternoon so maybe starting with LWHC. Also, given your interest in doing Goblin Valley, when you do LWHC just do an in and out - don't do the loop with Bell. It's less interesting and will consume a large amount of time. Plan on 3-4 hours in LWHC itself - great experience. Goblin Valley will be interesting for its rock formations. While in Green River, have a burger at Ray's Tavern - an iconic desert restaurant.

For Chesler Park, is there any reason you have to go to Monticello first? You'll burn at least an hour or more going down there then doubling back. You can access Chesler Park from many trailheads. No appreciable difference. The two you noted are very accessible. You can also make the trail as long or short as you like. As you can see from the map, there are myriad trails inter-connected. It's reasonably well marked but you do need to have a map and basic route finding skills. A GPS is also nice. I wouldn't say it's difficult to follow the trail, but you do need to pay attention and reconcile your location occasionally. It's a pretty amazing place.

Have fun.

Sarasota
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: In what order should I do these Hikes?

I thank you all for your help.

I found the map and copied it.

I am going to do the Needles first.

The reason for going to Monticello first is that I will have a car full of luggage, and I do not want to leave the car unattended for a period of time.

In today's world, you can not bet that the luggage will be there when you return.

My car was broken into while on a hike in England, so I do not want to get burned again.

Thanks again.

Steven

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In what order should I do these Hikes?

I've done the loop hike in the Needles twice and never had problems following the trails. We always carry a topographical map and pay attention.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In what order should I do these Hikes?

my favorite needles hike is the confluence trail not strenuous but long, ladders along the way... some hiking on the sand roads but not a lot. the view of the intersection of the Colorado River and the Green River is incredibly cool.

Reply to: In what order should I do these Hikes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Green River