We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

Hi,

I need some itinerary help! We are coming from Bryce, originally supposed to head to Zion for 4 nights at Watchman CG. Now, after learning about Goblin Valley, I'm wondering if I should go from Bryce to Goblin ( 4 hr drive), spend the night at Goblin Campground, then the next day drive back towards Zion (5 hours drive), but split it up, just find someplace to sleep along the way and resume the rest of the drive the next morning. What do you think?

Mentioned in this post
9 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
65,387 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

There's way more than Goblin Valley if you head east in 12/24. You could spend all 4 of your nights there. But then Zions has more to offer than what you can handle in 4 nights. So there is no wrone answer. However, we often see planners here who keep trying to add on "one or two more places" that they read about. In the end they spend more time driving and chasing, than actually seeing enjoying the destinations themselves.

I'd stick with your original plan. It will be such a great vacation that you'll start planning to come back again...and again...and

Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

I'm so mad at myself. I saw a site available so I went ahead and booked goblin valley for one night. Cancelled 2/4 nights at Zion. Now I can't change it. Now we are going Bryce -goblin -Zion (goblin to Zion we will do a 2 day drive). This is just part of a 4 week road trip. We start in Denver and drive to arches monument valley page gc page Bryce goblin Zion then off to California. I am feeling overwhelmed with all the driving and feel like I am overdoing it but don't know how to change anything at this point!

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
California
California
United States
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
65,387 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

Don't say you weren't warned

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
579 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

I would have skipped Goblin or Monument.

Arches- Monument-GC- Page-Bryce-Zion

Or

Arches-Goblin-Bryce-Zion-Page-GC

Try and make a change or watch for cancellations.

Edited: 17 June 2015, 16:35
Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,447 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

Goblin is a nice stop off on the way between Moab and Torrey, but definitely not worth the major drive up to it from Bryce just to return to Zion.

I don't know. Stop in Boulder on the way back down, see Capitol Reef in there somewhere, and as long as you are at Goblin Valley do Little Wild Horse as well.

Mentioned in this post
Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

I saw Goblin Valley state park cg had an opening, so I snagged it, then went ahead and cancelled my first 2 days at Watchman. THen about 2 hours after I did this, I started regretting the decision and became really uspet over it! Now I'm wondering if I should now skip Goblin Valley and the drive up through 12/24 completely? Although I lost my 2 days at Watchman campground, I found out South CG is first come first served, so if we're lucky maybe we can camp the first 2 nights there, then move to watchman after. That will give us the 4 days in Zion and give us enough time to really explore the park. Or, keep as currently is, leave Bryce and drive to Goblin, camp there, then drive back towards Zion, spending 1 night somewhere along the way, then Watchman for 2 nights.

Of note, this is a 4 week trip, we start in Denver and end up in Portland OR. I am becoming very anxious that I added on too much and the driving, although beautiful, will be way too much. Should I just skip Goblin Valley and miss the entire 12/24 drive, and spend that time all in Zion instead (2 days in 1 cg, 2 days in another)? It just would be a shame because we are right there, to miss such a beautiful drive!

Mentioned in this post
Goblin Valley State Park
Goblin Valley State Park
789 Reviews
Green River, UT
Watchman Campground
Watchman Campground
351 Reviews
Zion National Park, UT
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,447 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

Ya, too bad you lost the spots in Zions.

It's your trip. Do you want to put in more driving miles? Because driving too many miles in too few days will change the type of trip you have from more relaxed and in-depth to more rushed and on the go all the time. Both are valid ways to visit, just depends on what you were hoping for.

I personally would not drive from Bryce to Goblin Valley in that amount of time- Bryce to Boulder is the most scenic part of that drive.

I love Zions and would do that over the drive myself.

Mentioned in this post
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
65,387 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

Re read my first reply

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 nights in zion, or 2 nights in zion +Goblin

Goblin Valley is great. I've gone camping down there for entire weekends and had a blast. Just make a decision on whether or not you will try for the first come first serve campground and know that might be a pain too. Or you could see if there is any hotel availability in Springdale for a couple of nights.

If you decide to go to Goblin Valley make the most of it. Check out a hike in Capitol Reef on the way there. Maybe Cohab Canyon or Cassidy Arch. Hike Little Wild Horse Canyon in the San Rafael Swell. Wander through the goblins in the moonlight. Stay in Escalante for your night between GV and Zion. It's about halfway between the two. Possibly hike Calf Creek Falls.

Just make sure you have time to hike The Narrows and Angel's Landing in Zion. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Capitol Reef Resort
Capitol Reef Resort
1,569 Reviews
Torrey, UT
Cassidy Arch
Cassidy Arch
107 Reviews
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Little Wild Horse Canyon
Little Wild Horse Canyon
137 Reviews