We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

Everyone is invited to “meet up” in the town of Green River. It will be a four day weekend event starting Thursday, September 25 through Monday the 29, 2014. Come early, stay late, or visit for just 1 or 2 days.

This will be the sixth Meet-Up in southern Utah in five years. Originally the attendees were the major southern Utah posters to TA but since then we have TA posters from other states that want to join us and enjoy the area with like-minded folks. Everyone is invited.

There is much to see and do in the area surrounding the town of Green River:

Explore the San Rafael Reef and San Rafael Swell; known by locals as “The Swell”.

Hike through narrow slot canyons including Little Wild Horse Canyon.

Raft on the Green River.

Visit the John Wesley Powell Museum.

Investigate the mysterious cold water Crystal Geyser.

Golf at the State Park.

Enjoy scenic drives into the back-country. Maybe go to the Hans Flat Ranger Station and peek into the Maze.

Join the Mountain Bike Festival in “The Swell”.

Canyoneering with an outfitter/guide in the Dirty Devil or Robbers Roost.

Discover Native American rock art including the famous Black Dragon, Nine Mile Canyon, Buck Horn Wash, and the infamous Horseshoe Canyon section of Canyonlands National Park.

There are 81 natural arches in the area and we have a list of the names and locations. How many will we find?

Come face-to-face with hoodoos in Goblin Valley State Park.

The delicious Green River melons will be in season.

And, for the first time, a “no activity” get-together to relax and become better acquainted…perhaps at the city park.

The town of Green River is very small but does have gas stations, a market and several places to eat. Lodging available includes many motels plus camping.

We will also have group dinners and happy hours.

I’m starting this thread so everyone has a place to chime in, chatter, and contribute ideas and opinions about all the fun we’re going to have.

OhioHick has already set up a website for our planning and several of us have joined in the forums there. Here it is:

http://utahmeetup2014.webs.com/

What do YOU think? Everyone is invited. Do you want to join us?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,713 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

Now it is official! Good deal, Danny.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,557 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

Thanks for your work on this. I hope that we can actually make this one - love Green River. Do you think we can all fit into Ray's one night?

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

Ray's is penciled into the schedule for a 20th wedding anniversary :)

And inked in for tomorrow's pre meet-up meet-up :))

Edited: 03 January 2014, 15:01
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,164 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

It will be great to have T&C with us. It's about time!

Danny didn't mention it, but those of us who have investigated lodging options have discovered that our dates coincide with a mountain bike event and the annual melon festival. Bottom line is that rooms are booking fast.

Anyone who even thinks they might want to be there to share with this great corps of TA contributors should make reservations for accommodations ASAP. Better to have rooms and cancel later if you must, than find out when you want to come that there's no room at the Inns.

Grand Junction...
Destination Expert
for Bluff
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

Danny, I thought we are starting Wednesday the 24th. At least that is what's posted on the Utah meetup 2014 sight.

At least the majority of us will be arriving that day.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

SRW, I think most of us are planning on getting there on Wed nite. Day trips and events are Thu -Sun with possible Monday for some. That's how I'm looking at it.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
11,047 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

And now it's official!! Thanks Danny for starting us on our way!!!

When I stopped to thing that it's only January and we are digging ourselves out of this latest snow storm I just groan and think....I have to wait all the way until Sept!!! But then I remember how fast it goes:-)

See ya's all soon...wink, wink!!!

SJG

Grand Junction...
Destination Expert
for Bluff
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

PG>>> You're right. I guess because of the previous ones we got there earlier on Wed. to start the cook out. We are only 1 1/2 hours from Green River.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

Happy New Year to Everyone!

Winter itself never goes fast enough tho, SJG.

Thanks for the update on the hotel situation RR

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meet Up in Green River in September 2014

I feel for you Jersey Girl. Not!! (Well mrs pg does) I know it seems hard for some of you to believe, that one can actually play on that fluffy white stuff. I try and do it almost every day, sliding down a mountain. Fresh powder!!! Someones gotta do it. So...We will gladly take all your unwanted snow here in Steamboat Springs. The good thing about it is... all that snow eventually melts and ends up in the Yampa River which eventually ends up in the Green River. Yes the same Green River that runs thru the town of Green River, Utah.

So....let it snow Baby!!! What's my name???

Get answers to your questions about Green River