We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash machines

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Cash machines

Hi we go to salou on Saturday and I have a Postoffice prepaid card my question is when I go to withdraw moni there is 2 buttons and it asked which 1 u want . It’s something to do with the convert .it is a silly question but I need help . Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Flitwick, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash machines

Somebody told me you should also choose GBP not EUR as it's a better deal, hopefully others can confirm if this is the case?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash machines

It's probably asking if you want the transaction deducted in pounds at a guaranteed rate, or in Euros. The guaranteed rate is normally substantially less than the actual current exchange rate, so if you select pounds you will pay more for the same amount of Euros - unless, of course there's a sudden and catastrophic crash of sterling against the Euro in the two or three days it takes for the transaction to be posted.

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash machines

Thanks but wat do I choose lol

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash machines

Thank you

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash machines

You choose Euros. Like I said.

Prezza, I hope whoever told you to choose GBP instead of Euros also agreed to pay the difference if he/she was wrong.

There's an easy way to check. The display should tell you the amount in GBP that will be deducted IF you choose GBP. Make a note of this and choose Euros. Then a few days later check your bank account to see how much has been taken out. It should be a smaller amount, meaning you have more left in the account.

This only applies to the exchange rate and not to any additional charges made by either of the banks involved.

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash machines

Ok thank you

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash machines

Choose ‘without conversion’ and it’ll just knock off your balance the amount you get from the machine. So if you load €1000 on the card and draw €200 out, you’ll have €800 left.

I learnt the lesson the hard way in Alcudia last year when I choose ‘with conversion’. I drew €200 euros out but rather then my balance being €800, it was something like €780.

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash machines

Thank you that is wat I was hoping some1 could tell me in plain English lol

Hampton, UK
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash machines

Always pay in pounds.

I had 1 retailer who chose the pounds option without asking me. I made them compensate me there and then. They weren’t happy but once the queue at the till had reached the door they realised I wasn’t going away!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,802 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash machines

lineandalan - did you mean to say "Always pay in pounds"?

https:/…27re-not-alone-in-being-ripped-off

Reply to: Cash machines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Salou