We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

Springfield...
Level Contributor
352 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

For our trip in April, I'm looking for some specifics about the bus that leaves around 7 am(?) from Flores/Santa Elena.

1. Where does one purchase tickets and how far in advance? Is the bus often full or can we buy them the day before--we are a group of 4?

2. Where exactly do we catch the bus and how much in advance should we be there to be sure we don't miss it.

3. Does the bus have a dedicated luggage area or do we have to stash our bags in the back of the bus and guard them?

4. Where does the bus arrive in Belize City--i.e. is it close to one or both of the water taxi docks?

5. Looks like it waits for the bus from Guatemala City--is it often really late?

6. It looks like there is also a Fuente del Norte 5 am bus, too. Any others? Which is the best in terms of reliability/comfort?

7. At the border, what happens?

Thanks so much for any guidance you can offer. This info is probably out there, just want to make sure I have the current specifics so we can make a smooth transfer. I'm finding a lot of information for this region on the internet is not current.

14 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,185 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

I can address most of your questions - my husband and I made that trip in November.

We called the Linea Dorada number the evening before from the Tikal Inn and were told that the bus was scheduled for 7am and to just show up 15 minutes before the bus and buy tickets then. We showed up 20 minutes ahead and a good thing as the bus left at 6:45 on the dot! I don't know how often it's full but there were only 4 or 5 other riders in a 20+ passenger mini bus on 2sday, November 17th.

I can't really help with the address as we were dropped off by a friend who lives in Petén; there was a big fenced area with an office area where we bought our ticket; there's a bathroom and the bus was already warming up right outside. Our bags went into the storage area under the bus.

The trip took about 11.5 hours and we were dropped right by the San Pedro Water Taxi place in time to make the noon ferry to Caye Caulker. Watch your bags there - our bags were split between 2 ferries and we had a hard time convincing the boat guys to get our other bag off the ferry that was heading to San Pedro after dropping a few on Caye Caulker. The other water taxi dock is just a few blocks away.

Not sure about #5 and #6.

At the border we had to walk our bags through 2 stops - exiting Guatemala and entering Belize; there was a sort of a customs place entering Belize but they didn't want to look at our bags. The bus and driver had their own bit crossing the border and we used the bathrooms and met up with it on the other side.

Happy trails!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
352 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

Thank you so much for the information. It is so helpful to have an expert to help us newbies find our way!

We will be in Flores the night before so we can also ask around there. I assume it is better to pay with local currency instead of USD?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,185 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

We paid in quetzales, the equivalent of $23-24 US. They would take US if that's what you have, sometimes it's a bit more.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

hopefulist

Eleven and a half hours seems to be very long. I have used them and the trip was 6-7 hours.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,185 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

Oh my - sorry for the typo! Guess that's proof I shouldn't be posting at 1:43 am! The trip took just over 4.5 hours; we arrived at the dock in time to make the noon ferry. At least I got that part right!

Springfield...
Level Contributor
352 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

When You said you made the noon ferry, I knew it wasn't that long. We all mess up that way. Thanks for the info.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,185 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

I morphed the 4.5 hours with 11:30 and came up with 11.5. :-)

Springfield...
Level Contributor
352 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

Where do they drop you in Belize City--i.e. which water taxi company?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,185 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

We were dropped at San Pedro Express terminal just in time for the noon water taxi so we didn't look further; I think the docks are just a few blocks apart.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City

Did it really take 11.5 hours? everyone here is saying its a 5 hour bus ride from Flores to Belize?

Reply to: Info about Linea Dorado express bus Flores to Belize City
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted