We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleep in Flores, El Remate or Tikal?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sleep in Flores, El Remate or Tikal?

We are spending 3-4 days in the Flores/El Remate/Tikal area in January. We will spend a day at Tikal, of course, but we are looking for suggestions on which area to spend the rest of our time.

We will be flying to this area right after a 10-hour flight from Portland, so we want to "land" someplace that's comfy and peaceful for accommodations.

There are tons of nice places on AirB&B, but which area do you suggest we book our accommodations? In Flores or the El Remate area? I've heard flores can be a little busy and loud in the hotel areas in early mornings.

We want to relax, eat good food, and swim.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleep in Flores, El Remate or Tikal?

All three are different.

El Remate is quiet and peaceful for the most part, with fairly cheap accommodations. You can probably get a room with a nice view of the lake for a low price. But it is small and there is little to do there, out side of sleeping and eating.

Flores is a small, pretty, somewhat touristy town with lots of accommodations, restaurants, shops, and tour operators. It will have pretty much everything you will need and cheap shuttles to the ruins. I have not had any bad experiences with noise, but I suppose it could happen. When you say "early morning noise," it may be people preparing for the "Sunrise Tour" at the ruins.

Staying inside the park is also an option. It will be more expensive but it has a very cool and unique vibe that in my opinion is hard to beat. You are in very close walking distance to the ruins, it is in a jungle, there is a variety of wildlife and animal noises (like the Howler Monkey). There are three hotels there that have a range of prices and accommodations, including tents and hammocks. Two of them have pools. Also between the three hotels and the Visitor's Center there will be four restaurants and several commodores to chooses from for eating. So while it is isolated, it is comfortable enough. It is also convenient for visiting the Park - you can stay at the ruins late, or walk back to your hotel for lunch etc. Staying inside the Park is a great way to chill if that is what you are after.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,817 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleep in Flores, El Remate or Tikal?

How much time between your flight into GUA and your flight from GUA to FRS? What time do you land in Flores/Santa Elena? If it's evening, I'd stay in Flores, maybe something here:

hotelesdepeten.com/cms/pages/es/inicio.php

If you're arriving early in the morning, maybe head straight to the park. Also, have you arranged a guide for Tikal and other sites, like Yaxhá? That could make a difference in where you stay and when. Let us know if you'd like recommendations for that.

I'd plan to spend at least 1 night in the park at Tikal. Our favorite hotel there is Tikal Inn and we generally only stay in Flores a night coming or going if we need to do to transfer schedules (cute, touristy town but I don't consider it much of a destination by itself). I've stayed in El Remate a few times coming or going, too, but prefer to stay in the park.

Reply to: Sleep in Flores, El Remate or Tikal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted