We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days In Tikal

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days In Tikal

Hello,

We are arriving in Flores on a Wed morning, staying at Hotel Tikal Inn, and flying out on Saturday morning. I wanted to hire a private taxi to get to Tikal, then hire one on Thursday to see el Zotz and Uaxactun, then hire one on Friday to see Yaxha. Do most of the taxi drivers work as tour guides, also? Am I better off booking with Gem Tours in advance...they seem expensive. Also, I'm nervous about getting ripped off or robbed after reading the post about bandits. I was just going to wing it regarding a tour guide and transportation, but know I don't know. Any help on this is appreciated. Also - how long of a taxi ride is it from Flores to Tikal?

3 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,825 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days In Tikal

Not all tour guides are created equal - for a once in a lifetime visit to such a spectacular area I'd go ahead and hire Marlon Díaz of Gem Trips if you can. Friends and I hired him for transport and a Yaxhá tour last fall and I recommend him highly.

www.gemtrips.com

Anaheim, California
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days In Tikal

You have an exciting trip ahead! I used Sergio Crasborn from Crasborn Travel. He kept an open line of communication and immediately answered all questions I threw at him. He took care of Tikal and Yaxha as well as transportation from Belize to Flores for us. His pricing was best I could find and I did a lot of research. He is pretty much always available on WhatsApp but also responsive through email.

Email:

scrasborn@yahoo.com

WhatsApp:

502 4637 2411

Level Contributor
182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days In Tikal

If you decide to just hire a driver, there is a kiosk near the walk-in entrance to Tikal where you can hire a guide, and there are always several there and many are bilingual.

The advantage is that you can possibly negotiate the fee, and more importantly, interview them to see if you can understand them and get along with them BEFORE paying. These official guides have to be licensed by the Guatemala government tourist agencies (CARNET or INGUAT), so they have been trained and have a good understanding of the real history, and architectural features of Tikal.

Sometimes you can also tag along with other groups forming at the kiosk and get a significantly lower price.

Reply to: 3 Days In Tikal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted