We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My lil trip review 5/6-5/8/16

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
292 posts
181 reviews
My lil trip review 5/6-5/8/16

I wanted to do a small trip report since a lot of people don't. We left home (Ft Worth) on Friday morning around 3, with every intent to take 20 to 45. Our driver was distracted and we missed 20.. We ended up going south on 35 to Waco then heading over to 45. Made a stop in West and then again in Madisonville at the Buccee's (expect a delay). We arrived in Galveston 9:30 am. Stopped a Walgreens for a few essentials and then headed down SeaWall. We parked along the free portion of the seawall and carried our chairs down. We were surprised to find you cannot drink on the beach here :(. We hung out on the beach and sunned and read for about an hour or so. Then we went off in search of food. We landed at Benno's. Beware that it is mainly fried food, and it was ok to good, but almost all fried. They had large portions and friendly service. We called our hotel to see if we could check in early and they said yes. Off to Gaido's. Check in was easy, great room, ground floor in the courtyard area. We unpacked and rested a bit then headed to the pool. This area is laid out super weird and its very compact. You cannot bring a cooler to the pool area here as they have a bar, and OUCH $5.50 for beer. No problemo as it was almost happy hour and that means $6 pitchers! Shared a few of these and tanned and people watched. Went back to the room and changed to head to dinner. We settled on Salsa's. It was decent Mexican food, not too bad prices. Back to the pool area so we could watch the live music. Stayed maybe 30 minutes (they open this up to the public too) SOOOO crowded. Off to bed. Up early on Saturday and tried out Gaido's breakfast, plenty of offerings, but just BLAH... went and checked out the ships in port and did the tree carving tour (really cool). After that we headed to Walmart to get a few things. Left there and then went to the Bishops Palace. This was a super neat tour, it was self navigating if that matters to you. Great great great gift shop here. I am not a gift shop shopper but they had lots of neat things and its for a good cause. Now in search of food again!

We headed over to the strand and tried to go to Murphy's Irish Pub. We wanted to watch the stars game and eat pizza.. It stunk sooo bad of stale cigarettes and we had to leave. We settled on Mama Teresa's Flying Pizza. The pizza was great, atmosphere wasn't what we were looking for. It served the purpose though, they only serve beer and wine FYI. Walked the strand after this and browsed. Hit the chocolate factory, yummy! Back to the hotel to get ready for the beach. We walked across the street from our hotel to the beach. Hung out there for an hour or so and tanned and people watched. By this time we were ready for a drink. Back to the hotel to clean up and rest before dinner. We got ready for dinner and settled on Nick's (at our hotel". This ended up being the best meal of the trip. It is pricier but fabulous. We all loved our food and drinks. Beer on this side of the restaurant was only $3 something. Quite possibly the best Caesar salad of my life! We were stuffed and called it a night early.

Sunday morning mom and one sister headed out early to walk the beach. They came back in around 8:30 with beignets and bacon from the Gumbo Diner, win!... We packed up and headed home. Made at stop at Buccee's in Texas City, stayed on 45 to 20 and never stopped again. We were home by 2!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,427 posts
149 reviews
1. Re: My lil trip review 5/6-5/8/16

Glad to hear y'all had a great time. Every Bucee's is always packed and for a good reason. Agree with the beignets at Gumbo Diner!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,154 posts
131 reviews
2. Re: My lil trip review 5/6-5/8/16

Great details for a Galveston TR- thanks for posting.

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
2,268 reviews
3. Re: My lil trip review 5/6-5/8/16

We were in Galveston in March and your report brought back a few great memories. Agree about the excellent gift shop at the Bishops Palace. Thanks for posting

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,186 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: My lil trip review 5/6-5/8/16

Glad you had a good trip. I really like the tree sculpture tour as well--it's a good way to combine seeing lots of the historic district with some really interesting art. I'm glad the residents were able to make something nice out of such a bad time with the trees.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
475 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: My lil trip review 5/6-5/8/16

Nice trip report! Has given me some ideas for my visit in June.

6. Re: My lil trip review 5/6-5/8/16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2017, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Galveston
Recent Conversations