We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are their toll roads around Houston?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Are their toll roads around Houston?

Hi there - heading to Galveston next month for a cruise. We are driving in from San Antonio. Last time we made this trek was about 12 years ago. Wondering if there are any new toll roads to take us around Houston??? We use 130 around Austin every time we go to Dallas!

Thanks in advance!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Are their toll roads around Houston?

Yes there are! I drove to TX last month and thought (hoped? wanted?) my local California FasTrak was compatible but it's not. I got a violation in the mail. I called and they reduced the fine to something reasonable, thank goodness. Not ridiculous, my $76 total of all tolls I passed through was reduced to $14. All my tolls were in/around Houston but there were some roads in Austin I avoided.

I pasted my notes below. They accept two systems, Harris County EZ TAG and BANC PASS EZ TAG. For occasional TX visitors like me they suggested BANC PASS and they told me that system applies to all TX electronic tolls.

I have not verified this but my information is recent, from 28 Mar 2016. From what you say, BANC PASS is what you want. For Harris County's EZ TAG, you have to pay ($25? if memory serves) for the transponder - likely not worth it for a 1-time visit.

Hope this helps.

Notes:

HCTRA EZ TAG Violation

HCTRA: Harris County Toll Road Association

EZ TAG violation. California's FasTrak is not compatible.

Mail to: HCTRA - VIOLATIONS, DEPT 1, PO BOX 4440, Houston TX 77210-4440

281-875-3279: called today @1150 (1150 is when I finally got through, after being on hold for 40mins)

Two Allowable EZ TAG Systems:

(A) Harris County EZ TAG; https://www.hctra.org

(B) BANC PASS EZ TAG: www.bancpass.com; 866-978-5016

Edited: 13 April 2016, 05:40
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Are their toll roads around Houston?

Scream9999, if you do get the BANC PASS please report back here and let us all know how it worked for you. The toll lines in Houston were long and I was happy to bypass them in the electronic lanes. Thanks.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Are their toll roads around Houston?

Interesting... I use the TXTag for 130 around Austin. I had no idea there would be a different entity to get on any of the Houston tolls. Crazy!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
204 reviews
4. Re: Are their toll roads around Houston?

Scream, your TXTag will work on the toll roads in Houston. TxDOT has made the systems interoperable.

5. Re: Are their toll roads around Houston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2017, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Galveston
Recent Conversations