We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of four needs advice

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Family of four needs advice

It's been years since I've been to Galveston. Planning on going there in July (the only time we can go). We are going for the beach. I know it isn't a great beach, but it is the closest in driving distance. We are coming from the DFW area. Family is my wife and I, my 10 yr old son and 6 yr old daughter. Please tell me some good places to stay that are on the beach or seawall. We usually stay at the Victorian, but that was declining over the last 2 trips. we would also prefer a place with a frig and at least a microwave. I already know that the Flagship and commodore are dumps. We also want a safe place for the sake of the kids. I need the help of the experts ( that's YOU!!) Please help me. Thanks for your help.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of four needs advice

Down from the Seawall, westbound, is a condo called SeaScape. This is directly on the beach, a private one, and not crowded at all because it is private. The units are privately owned, so they are all different and have some differnet amenities in each. You can see the individual units online too, and what you see is what you get, so look closely. You can find the link on galveston.com, under the condo accomodation section. The bad thing about this place, is that if you don't plan to cook, you have to drive into Galveston for meals.

If you want a hotel, look at the Hilton, the La Quinta Inn & Suites and Comfort Suites ( the last 2 are fairly new).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of four needs advice

The Casa del Mar is very similar to the Victorian. It has a small living room, bunk beds in the hallway and a separate bedroom for the adults. The kitchen has a full sized refrigerator, stove top, sink and microwave, along with enough dishes, pans, etc. for you to prepare a meal. You can get ocean view or ocean front. I think the ocean front are also available in 2 bedrooms.

DFW (HEB), TX
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of four needs advice

Thanks KNR and Galveston Girl for the input. Do either of you or anyone else know much about the Islander East and how would it compare against Seascape. I'm considering Casa Del Mar for budget reasons and I might consider staying at the Strand or Moody Gardens area. Any advice for those areas? Thanks.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of four needs advice

Not familiar with Islander East, sorry.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family of four needs advice

Moody Gardens is nice if you plan on enjoying Moody Gardens and Schlitterbahn waterpark - it's not on the beach but nice accomodations for the surrounding attractions.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family of four needs advice

Holiday Inn Sunspree looks fairly new on Seawall - might give them a view (for postings on this web site to read reviews).

Hooks, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family of four needs advice

Try looking at vrbo.com. We have used them twice. We found a really nice place on the beach and it was so nice to feel like you were at home instead of a hotel. Since you have a full kitchen it really helps with the groceries.

CB3
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family of four needs advice

We are a family of 4 and we visit Galveston every year and we are from the DFW area. We love the short drive too! We have stayed at Moody Gardens, the San Luis and the Galvestonian Condos. This year we will go back to the Galvestonian. We love the view and balcony overlooking the beach. It is not fancy, but we love the view, heated pool and the walk way right to the beach. Pretty picnic area and charcoal grills. Our favorite thing is the condos sit right on East Beach so there is no need to cross the busy street..They have all sizes of condos to rent. Not fancy, but clean with full kitchens. Go to Galvestonian.com. We were disappointed with the San Luis and will NEVER stay at Moody Gardens again (terrible food, unclean, childrens activites were a joke).

killeen Tx
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Family of four needs advice

I can't STRESS ENOUGH to go to www.vrbo.com! They have the best condos for low prices! Look and see! It's so easy too.

Terrell
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Family of four needs advice

I would defineately suggest the Escapes at Galveston. It is like an apartment. It has a full kitchen that is very roomy (unlike Victorians) There is a boardwalk to the beach that is much safer than crossing Sea Wall. Cost wise, it it more than the Victorian & Casa Del Mar but what you get for the money is so worth it!