We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oktoberfest and Hotel accommodations

10 posts
Oktoberfest and Hotel accommodations

Hi,

We are looking to visit for Oktoberfest. We are unable to find a decent priced hotel within Fredericksburg. Is Kerrville a safe enough area to stay in? It seems the only hotel we can afford is in that area but I have never heard of it and don't know anyone that has stayed there. We know this is a little out there but do they have a good Uber presence in Fredericksburg and maybe even Kerrville? Looks to be some bars in Kerrville worth visiting that is just out of walking range for the hotel.

Thanks for your help

6 replies to this topic
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,280 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Oktoberfest and Hotel accommodations

You have now discovered one reason I am not the biggest fan of Fredericksburg. Incredibly touristy and prices for accommodations and dining are expensive. Kerrville is larger that Fredericksburg and very safe. Can't help with Uber although I am aware of taxis in both cities.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Oktoberfest and Hotel accommodations

You also have another festival option of Wurstfest in New Braunfels in November. New Braunfels is another old German town but much larger than Fredericksburg, with many more motel options, and the festival operates a shuttle picking up at most local places.

https://wurstfest.com/

USA Today picked Wurstfest the No. 2 Octoberfest in the U.S., behind Reading Liederkranz Oktoberfest - Reading, Penn. Octoberfest Fredericksburg was No. 7.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
134 reviews
3. Re: Oktoberfest and Hotel accommodations

One of the best ways to stay in Fredericksburg is at a guest house or B&B. Those don't book through the usual hotel websites. My favorite reservation service is Gastehaus Schmidt, www.fbglodging.com. They rent all sorts of cabins, cottages and hosted bed and breakfast homes. Another service is First Class: www.fredericksburg-lodging.com Also look at AirBnB.com Another fun place to stay is the Hangar Hotel at the Fredericksburg Airport www.hangarhotel.com (Be aware they do not allow children.)

Kerrville is a pretty long drive back and forth if you are actually going to be doing things in Fredericksburg. Cab rides would be quite expensive! If positively everything in Fredericksburg is full, then I would only use staying in Kerrville as a last resort.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 20:46
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
787 reviews
4. Re: Oktoberfest and Hotel accommodations

Nothing wrong with Kerrville save that if you want to enjoy Fredericksburg it is 25 miles and about 35 to 40 minutes away. I used to stay in Kerrville regularly for its music festival and like the town but not sure about commuting to Fredericksburg. I would seriously look at the option suggested by 5thGenTexan.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
134 reviews
5. Re: Oktoberfest and Hotel accommodations

There are some budget hotels in Fredericksburg: Super 8, EconoLodge.

visitfredericksburgtx.com/lodging-categories…

The Frederick Motel, Dietzel Motel, Wine Country Lodge and Sunset Inn are all locally owned. There's also a motel in Stonewall that would be a lot closer than staying in Kerrville.

10 posts
6. Re: Oktoberfest and Hotel accommodations

We are staying in Kerrville because we need to stay in a Hilton due to discounts and rewards programs. The only Hilton in Fredericksburg is booked probably due to Oktoberfest. The closest is Kerrville.

Reply to: Oktoberfest and Hotel accommodations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted