We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to visit

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Time to visit

Please can someone advise the time that should be allowed for visiting the caves? Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to visit

Sorry, I don't know about those caves, but it sounds intriguing, and the name Sweetwater has got to be one of the most pleasant sounding of any town out there. I'm going to read up on this.

Kingston, Tennessee
Level Contributor
333 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to visit

The Lost Sea has guided tours that are about an hour and 15 minutes. Also allow time to see the shops in their Old Sweetwater Village.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to visit

Thanks..

Sweetwater...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to visit

You probably need at least 2-3 hours to really enjoy The Lost Sea, because in addition to the cave (which includes a really great glass bottom boat ride), there is Old Sweetwater Village with several shops and activities. There is even a picnic area and small self guided nature trail. Check their website for more info. If you have time, I would also suggest stopping in the city of Sweetwater's historic district. Located on Rte.11 (Main St.) between the Lost Sea and I-75, it has lovely boutiques, antique shops, and a couple of great restaurants. It's the quintessential charming and friendly Southern town. Just look for the gazebo and the train car - they are in the municipal parking lot with free parking. You can walk to the shops and restaurants from there, but the Lost Sea is about 3 miles further up New Highway 68. Another popular local attraction is Tsali Notch Vineyard. Not far from the Lost Sea, it's the largest muscadine (native grapes) vineyard in Tennessee. Featuring wines, jellies, and juice, it has spectacular panoramic mountain views. Enjoy your visit!

Reply to: Time to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sweetwater