We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions to 1970s Visitors to Lost Sea outside Sweetwater

TN
1 post
Save Topic
Questions to 1970s Visitors to Lost Sea outside Sweetwater

I took my grandchildren to visit the Lost Sea, as I had my children years before. Of course, I had to fill them in on a little history about the cave. I distincly remember being told that eyeless fish were in the cave at one point in time. However, this never came up in facts from our tour guide so I asked her about it and she said she had never heard of such fish ever having been there. Any more grandparents out there who remember? I can't let them call me senile! HELP!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions to 1970s Visitors to Lost Sea outside Sweetwater

I was told the trout stocked in the lake do slowly lose most if not all their eyesight due to lack of light. Never was told of any eyeless fish though. Of course there are many species of native cave-stream dwelling fish that are blind but I've never known of any at the Lost Sea.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions to 1970s Visitors to Lost Sea outside Sweetwater

Their blind but have eyes which with blindness tend to have them blend in with the color of the fishes body.

3. Re: Questions to 1970s Visitors to Lost Sea outside Sweetwater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 18:20
Get answers to your questions about Sweetwater