We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One way car hire...

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
One way car hire...

We arrive in Nashville 19th Sept from UK,we will be staying in Nashville for 5/6 days and then driving to New Orleans (via Memphis) and then fly home from New Orleans. Just wondering what the best (cheapest) way of renting a car for one way? ie no surcharge, also what size/type of car for 4 adults/ 4 suitcases and hand luggage?

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One way car hire...

First of all, the easy part. Go no smaller than a full size. Even then, you will be tight. I would consider an SUV or luxury car.

Now for the hard part, finding a good deal.

You will pay a premium for dropping off at a different location, and it will be substantial. I would suggest starting with www.priceline.com so you can compare several brands. I think it would be unlikely that you will beat their prices. They also offer a good explanation of the various car sizes offered. All the brands on PL are reputable, and renting a car in Nashville is easy, no one company offers an advantage.

US
Level Contributor
3,181 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One way car hire...

I agree that priceline is the way to go. If they don't include Enterprise as one of the companies, though I would check that separately as well. They MIGHT offer a better deal on one-ways.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One way car hire...

This may not work for you but we are coming from the UK too and for the second half of our trip we wanted to hire a car from Memphis and drop it off in Nashville.

In the end we booked online with EBOOKERS (using Hertz) and it says on our prepaid voucher 'There is no one-way drop off fee for this car and rental'.

That may be because of the cities involved but you could check it out.

Have a great trip!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One way car hire...

thanx everyone, Jubileegirl i think that may be because Nash and Mamph are in the same state, New Orleans is in Louisiana.

South London
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One way car hire...

You could try Dialaflight, I know they do one way rentals.

Or if you don't fancy the drive we took the Amtrak and loved it!

uk
Level Contributor
31 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One way car hire...

Can I just suggest you double....double ... check with whoever you choose.... as one way fees can be hard to pin down on some web sites and even had quotes for specific requests.....thinking that it was all included.....only to find out the hard way...fee at the end $$$....that small print said.... fee for one way would be charged at the end at local rate. This was a major uk tour holiday firm also.

If you decide to rent before you get out to US I often find carrentals.co.uk competitive as they use a dozen or so major rental firms.

Agree on nashpams advice for comfort and luggage .....mid SUV minimum.

Hope helps

V66

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One way car hire...

From Australia traveling to USA next March/April and have searched quite a few websites and can't seem to get a set price with one way car hire.

Have you finished your trip Jubileegirl? Using Ebookers did you find you had to pay any extra fees when you picked up or dropped of your car at Memphis or Nashville. I have been on Ebookers website and notice on one part they specify 'no drop-off fees' and then on another part it says 'drop-off fees may apply'. I would like to go ahead and book but don't want to be hit with any unexpected charges when we get there. Thanks

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One way car hire...

I found "BUDGET" the cheapest, $600 all in for 9 days rental with pick up at Nashville airport, and drop off at New Orlean's, the car was a large 7 seater Dodge caravan/people carrier...

9. Re: One way car hire...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Nashville