We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Knoxville
Level Contributor
338 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

This forum gets a lot of repeat questions and very few trip reports in return. As someone who is surely guilty of the former, I thought I might contribute a trip report in thanks and hope that it helps someone else out with ideas. Lately, we've been visiting quite often. We stayed at an AirBnB in the Riverfront Condos along 1st Ave North. Not my first choice, but the original condo we booked near Belmont was purchased by the university a week before our arrival and plans for demo were immediate, so we had to scramble to find a new place (keep in mind this is when the Preds were still in the play offs so booking was $$$$). It was a convenient location and we used Lyft to get to each unique neighborhood we visited.

Dropped bags at condo around 11:00 a.m. Thursday & headed to 12 South. We put our name on the list at Bartaco and did some browsing. I love Moda Boutique because it has some really great perfumes that aren't available to me locally. Got our text from Bartaco and proceeded to devour the guacamole, salsas, pork belly tacos and ceviche. Also tried a roasted mushroom taco this time and it was seriously my favorite. Of course, margaritas happened. After lunch we browsed Draper James (this is Reese Witherspoon's store). The clothing is a bit much on the wallet and not particularly my style, but the store is cute and friendly and you're given complimentary sweet tea as you browse. We continued to some other boutiques, most notably White's Mercantile which is always a must for me. They have great natural skincare, unique perfumes, odd gifts, great gifts for guys. Picked up some of my favorite cedar scented candles, a notebook and some other items. It was a HOT day so after this, we went home to clean up for dinner. A pre-dinner drink at Henrietta Red. Cute spot, menu looked good. Dinner - reservations at City House. Sat at the pizza bar and had an amazing dinner of the best kale salad and pizza around.

Friday morning: Lyft to Hillsboro Village for breakfast and coffee at Fido. We wanted to get some walking in before the heat got terrible, so we strolled a few blocks before looping back around when the shops opened up. I love the kitchen store (David's I think?), and I can't come to Nashville without visiting Pangea. After this we took a Lyft to SoBro and did some walking, made some purchases in Hatch Show Print. A really nice shop in a beautiful spot. We walked around the general area of 2nd Ave and Broadway because it's something we literally never do when we visit Nashville, and we were overdue. We visited the Johnny Cash museum which was nice, and a ticket purchase grants you entry "for life". Lunch at the Southern was really good, and there's something for everyone on the menu. After some more strolling, it was late afternoon and Broadway was getting feisty. We got a window seat at a bar (no idea what it was called - they run together for me) and enjoyed a drink and some people watching before heading back to clean up for dinner. This night we had drinks at Kuchnia & Keller - a beautiful space, and I can't wait to go back here for food - and dinner at Geist. I was on the fence about trying Geist, and I'm so glad we went for it. A really cool, relaxed space with excellent food and drinks. Don't go here without trying the cauliflower dish or the mushroom pot pie. Service was friendly and they have a super cute "champagne garden" with outdoor seating as well. After a long dinner, we called it a night. Saturday morning we checked out of the condo and got coffee from Barista Parlour before hitting the road. It was a fun and successful trip and I satisfied my curiosity on several new-to-me restaurants.

8 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report

Thank you Tara for the great report. You are correct that we receive far too few of these relative to other forums but I hope you can serve as a catalyst!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Knoxville
Level Contributor
338 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report

Thanks Downola. I love reading trip reports for itinerary ideas, and it only occurred to me recently that I should be contributing on what I consider "small" trips (places we visit several times a year like Nashville or Atlanta) and not just big trips and new-to-me destinations.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report

That's a great report. Thanks for sharing! I still haven't tried City House but you had me at "pizza bar". Though admittedly you lost me a little at "kale salad". :)

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report

Thanks, Tara - glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing. So many of the places you mentioned are new and some of us old timers are set in our ways to try something new without recommendations.

Scotland
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report

Great trip report! I am planning on staying at the Riverfront Condos (through Airbnb) next May with a group of girls for a 40th birthday, what is your honest opinion of this area? We are travelling from the UK so will be staying for a week.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Knoxville
Level Contributor
338 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report

Cthorb - My honest opinion: You will be just fine at Riverfront. The immediate surrounding area is industrial and not charming. I would not feel safe walking through that area to the other areas I want to get to, even though they are close. The condo development itself I felt 100% safe - it' s just some of the streets bordering it aren't particularly pleasant and not ideal for pedestrian traffic. The condos did have some "noise" as a good number of them are rentals (i.e. - people in town to party, so they might be getting back late at night) but nothing ridiculous or that I couldn't overlook. the location is convenient to Germantown, Broadway/2nd Ave, but I personally felt most comfortable taking Lyft rather than walking. If this is off-putting to you, consider relocating.

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,700 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report

There's a nice greenway pedestrian walkway along the river that connects those condos to downtown. Personally I'd walk it to downtown and would walk to Germantown during the day, but Tara D's spot on after hours. Many of the buildings nearby are state and city government offices that turn into ghost towns by 4:30pm Mon-Fri and all weekend.

Scotland
Level Contributor
58 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report

Thanks for your replies, we're happy to walk during the day and get an Uber at night. We will also have a car for the week. Roll on next May!!

Reply to: trip report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nashville
Recent Conversations