We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting my Nashville research

Glasgow
Level Contributor
638 posts
16 reviews
Starting my Nashville research

So just returned from an 11 day trip in Memphis and New Orleans. Would have added Nashville but not enough holidays. So I'm now planning Nashville for next year and am in the early stages. Can I ask a couple of preliminary questions before the real research starts.

When is THE CMA 2019? I've had a look online and there is mention of 2 different months - June and August- so I'm confused.

If we came then would are there options for non- ticketed events (e.g. will there be street and bar music or is everything ticketed)

If we didnt come for CMA are there other "good" times to come for music events.

I can't access the most asked questions on phone so would I be right in saying Downtown is best for lodgings for 1st time visitor (best area for walkable attractions)?any part of Downtown to be avoided (We are fairly streetwise and know the usual rules re safety and not overly cautious.

Our hotels in Memphis and NOLA were Comfort Inn and Staybridge Suites i.e clean, friendly, not huge, decent price, good location - can you recommend similar hotels in Nashville (We won't be driving).

Many thanks in advance.

3 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Starting my Nashville research

Dates for CMA Fest 2019 have not been announced, but the event always takes place in early June, usually within the first two weeks.

There are plenty of free events during CMA Fest. There will be at least a half dozen stages all over downtown and at the Riverfront with free live music all day long during the 4 days of the Fest.

Downtown is definitely most convenient for a shorter visit and to take in all the major tourist attractions. Downtown is defined by Charlotte Ave to Korean Veterans Blvd north to south and 1st Ave to 9th Ave east to west. Anything in this immediate core is walking distance to most downtown attractions. Based on the hotels you mentioned in NOLA and Memphis, the only one that would likely fit the bill for you budget-wise is probably the Capitol Hotel. You may want to look a bit beyond downtown if you find the prices too high. Let us know any hotels you are considering and we will give you our best opinions.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
638 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Starting my Nashville research

Thanks for reply. Our hotel in New Orleans wasn't IN THE French Quarter but was an easy 10 minutes walk with bars, restaurants and shops within a minute walk. And safe to walk to and from FQ. Can you advise of a similar area/street/hotel in relation to being just off Downtown Nashville please?

Edited: 15 May 2018, 01:02
Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Starting my Nashville research

As a general rule, dates for next year's CMA Fest are announced a couple of weeks after the conclusion of the current year's Fest. Either way, you should have plenty of time to make arrangements. August would be a major departure from the norm.

CMA Fest is a 4-day festival that typically runs from Thursday - Sunday and is highlighted by the nightly concerts at Nissan Stadium, which requires a 4-day pass. All of the other outdoor stages are free and open to the public and the other indoor stages at the Music City Center require a Fan X ticket, which run about $10 per day / $30 for the duration of the festival. The 4-day pass for the nightly concerts run from about $200 - $500 per person, depending on the seating location. After lodging and meals, this is the major expense of attending the festival, but unless you're a huge fan of the hottest country stars, isn't necessary to get a full immersion of what the festival is about. There are about 8 acts per night at the Stadium shows, but the other stages (about 6-8 of them) also feature 8-10 different artists per day, so the number of acts you can see for free (or cheaply) is much greater than what you'll see for the higher cost nightly shows. If you like older acts, there is one stage that is devoted primarily for these artists (think late 90's - early 2000's acts) that aren't major airtime artists anymore.

Last year and this year, there has been a NashPass, which includes the 4-day FanX admission along with a tour or the Country Music Hall of Fame and a Self-guided Tour of Ryman Auditorium, it runs about $60 before fees. It includes priority admission to the nightly Ascend Amphitheater shows, which are free and run at the same time as the Nissan Stadium shows.

Anyway, if you're on Facebook, there are several groups that discuss CMA Fest that I would recommend you search for and join. Just search for "Going to CMA Fest" and you'll hit on a few good ones. You can ask questions

Reply to: Starting my Nashville research
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted