We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon in Opryland

Pretoria, South...
14 posts
Save Topic
Afternoon in Opryland

We are 4 friends from South Africa, in our late sixties, that will be visiting Nashville for 4 days in June of this year...

On our last day, which is the Saturday, we have combo tickets for Grand Ole Opry for 7pm plus the after the show backstage tour...

We thought of getting Lyft to Opryland after lunch and visit Madam Taussauds and have dinner before the show...

What else can you suggest for us to do during that afternoon and where do you suggest for dinner. Should we make bookings ??

Sincere thanks.

Leonie.

4 replies to this topic
Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon in Opryland

The Willie Nelson & Friends Museum on McGavock Pike is good. It's much smaller than the Country Music Hall of Fame, but what they have is quite good. Right next to that is an Edwin Watts golf store. That's not interesting, but the building they're in used to be a wax museum and right in front of it there are several concrete slabs with boot and hand prints of many stars of yesteryear. It's one of the last remaining pieces of "Old Nashville" and one I wish someone would move to a better location before they're lost forever. Very close by is The Nashville Palace honky tonk. It's a good one that skews a little older in its crowd than the "woo! party!" crowd so often found downtown these days. That's not to say it's old, but think more George Strait and less Florida Georgia Line. It would be a good stop before or after the show (or both!).

Pretoria, South...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon in Opryland

Much appreciated , thanks monkeylizard...

Eating places before the show...?

Leonie

Music City, USA
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon in Opryland

There's nothing truly exceptional in the Opryland area aside from the high-end Old Hickory Steakhouse inside the Opryland Hotel. . . Speaking of the Opryland Hotel, don't miss it! It has expansive indoor gardens and is free to enter.

When I'm in that area for dinner I usually eat at Chuy's in Opry Mills Mall. It's a TexMex chain out of Austin, TX. I don't usually love chain restaurants, but Chuy's is delicious. Some people like Claim Jumper in the mall. It has a widely varied menu so if you have some picky eaters in your group that may be a good choice as they have something for everyone. I'm not a huge fan. It seems like Cheesecake Factory to me, but without the one good thing at CF....the actual cheesecake. The food's not bad, but to me there's nothing remarkable or memorable about it.

Nashville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon in Opryland

Ahh, but the Motherlode Chocolate Cake is amazing at CJ! It may not be cheesecake and it may not come in 40 different varieties, but it is a darn good chocolate cake!

Here is their menu for your perusal: claimjumper.com/printmenus/menu-with-pizza.p…

Here is Chuy's menu: https://www.chuys.com/uploads/Chuys_Tier_2_Main_INSIDE-Normal_Layout_01-18_(1).pdf

Reply to: Afternoon in Opryland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nashville