We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Vacation

Bonifay, Florida
1 post
Scotland Vacation

My family and I arrive in Glasgow by train in May 2016 and will take a rental car to Fort Augustus where we will be staying for a few days. What is the most scenic route from Glasgow to Fort Augustus and can you recommend some good day trips from Fort Augustus. We will be there for 4 nights.

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,550 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Scotland Vacation

The A82 via Loch Lomond and Glencoe is a good option. But there are loads of choices.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,492 posts
181 reviews
2. Re: Scotland Vacation

I would explore the options in the Spey Valley on this map on which you can see Fort Augustus

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/nort…

Head south on the A82 and then via A86 head east to Newtonmore. Stay off the A9 and head north on the old road to Kingussie and Aviemore. You can click on any of the villages and visitor attractions on the map to see what might be of interest but the area around Cairngorm Mountain is very scenic with some lovely low( and high) level walks. Loch Morlich and Loch an Eilein are beautiful and the walk around Loch an Eilein amongst the beautiful pine trees is not to be missed.

rothiemurchus.net/Pages/…20Eilein.html

You could make a round trip of it by returning to Fort Augustus going onto the A9 north of Carr Bridge ( the Old Pack horse bridge itself worth a visit) and taking the B851/ B862 not shown on the map link I gave you but a nice route nevertheless.

http://www.carrbridge.com/

This would be a long day out with a lot of driving but with plenty of things to pack into it!

In May you will have a lot of evening light and its my favourite month up here in the Highlands because the trees and plants are finally bursting into life.

Cheers

Woody x

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
27,065 posts
400 reviews
3. Re: Scotland Vacation

Head for Invergarry or Invermoriston and then take the road to Skye driving through Glen Shiel, you could detour to Glenelg to see the ancient brochs (even if you won't drive all the way take a short detour of a couple of miles to some picnic benches on the hill and a fantastic viewpoint back down the bay and over the Five Sisters Of Kintail). Stop at Eilean Donan Castle, visit the lovely village of Plockton, driving through the village of Duirinish on the way where Highland Cattle are often roaming in the village. You could then take the bridge over to Skye and just see how the time goes before heading back to Fort Augustus. To give you an idea of driving time from Fort Augustus to the Skye Bridge without stops (you will make loads though :-) ) is just over an hour.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
27,065 posts
400 reviews
4. Re: Scotland Vacation

From Fort Augustus (you may well have driven part of this route on the way up but without the time to detour or explore) head South towards Fort William, go for a ride on the Gondola at Nevis Range http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/gondola-info.asp drive up Glen Nevis and take the walk to Steall Falls if you like walking. Visit Neptunes Staircase at Banavie just outside Fort William, keep going along that road to Glenfinnan and the Glenfinnan monument as well as the Viaduct (also know as The Harry Potter Train Bridge). There's much more but they are a few ideas to get you started on a day out in that direction.

Saudi Arabia
4 posts
5. Re: Scotland Vacation

If you can spend more time in Glasgow it will be grate. I have been to Glasgow 6 months ago,and i considerate one of the best places in the UK.

Reply to: Scotland Vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Augustus
More Fort Augustus Topics