We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Devon Southwest coastpath, base for public transport

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
973 posts
8 reviews
South Devon Southwest coastpath, base for public transport

Hi all

We're doing the Southwest coastpath over the course of many years. I'm a fair weather walker - no point in doing it if you can't enjoy it - and don't really like doing more than about 8 miles a day, and I always like to end in pubs if possible. Also, we don't drive.

With that in mind, I'm trying to plan how to tackle the stretch between Torcross and Plymouth next spring (probably April or May outside school hols).

(1) I'd rather use one place as a base and travel out to start and end points, not least because if it's horrible weather we can stay in (or go to the pub) and we're not trying to get to specific accommodation in the driving rain. (last time we stayed in Dartmouth for five days and did Torquay - Torcross over a few days with rests! This worked really well) Would Kingsbridge be a good base both for public transport to various spots and to hang out in the rain?

(2) Any tips on breaking up the Torcross - Salcombe leg? Looks like a bit of a public transport desert but I don't think we'd enjoy the full 15 miles in one go

(3) Is it safe to assume all the seasonal ferries will be running?

(4) Any other tips for this bit of coastpath?

Many thanks

5 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: South Devon Southwest coastpath, base for public transport

From Torquay to Torcross you have substantial numbers of settlements, so there are good bus links.

Sadly, once you get to Torcross the only route of substance, the 3 between Dartmouth and Plymouth, turns inland. The only bus service to the hamlets and villages south of this is the Coleridge Community Bus, which sets of from Kingsbridge at 12.20 on most days to various points. I don't know if you can contact them and cobble together some sort of itinerary.

http://www.coleridgebus.co.uk/timetable.html

If you want an interactive bus map of Devon for tacking the Salcombe-Plymouth stage (click on a route and it gives you a link to the timetable) you can get it here:

https:/…

Edited: 26 September 2016, 19:22
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
973 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: South Devon Southwest coastpath, base for public transport

Thanks, didn't know about that bus.

Any other tips about that stretch of coast greatly appreciated!

Hove
Level Contributor
235 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: South Devon Southwest coastpath, base for public transport

This link has information about ferries and the fording of the Erme estuary

https:/…

Hope that helps

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,253 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: South Devon Southwest coastpath, base for public transport

I notice that the article also has details of Wembury Cars and also Eco-Taxi of Kingsbridge, who are used to ferrying walkers around the South Hams. You could use them to split your walk into manageable sections.

>>> Wembury Cars carry walkers round the South Hams estuaries - Tel 01752 863710. Alternatively, Eco-Taxi based in Kingsbridge will carry walkers between Plymouth and Dartmouth and from all estuaries in South Devon. Tel 07811 385275 <<<

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
973 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: South Devon Southwest coastpath, base for public transport

And is Kingsbridge the best base? Am also looking at Salcombe and Modbury.

Reply to: South Devon Southwest coastpath, base for public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kingsbridge