We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

w.mids
Level Contributor
450 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

Hi;

Hi;

We are staying in bigbury-on-sea soon and with devon/cornish blood in my family, as soon as I think of Devon, I think of pasties.

Please help my "research" with advice on good pasties...I do have a preference for shortcrust pastry, but am willing to be persuaded.

Also, any advice on good fish and chips; either eat in or takeaway.

Good places to get scones for my cream teas.

and finally, any recommendations for a nice dry cider...in my childhood, it used to be a takeaway pasty and a bottle of Inch's cider , bought at Princetown and eaten on Foxtor ,heaven!

Mentioned in this post
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Mangetout Delicatessen & Cafe
$$ - $$$, Cafe, British, Street Food
Maha-Bharat Indian Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Asian, Bangladeshi, Indian
The Old Bakery Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, Lebanese, Spanish
4 replies to this topic
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

So, In Kingsbridge they recently lost their best pasty makers, however there is a shop called Oasis just a couple doors up that still sell their pasties... Yum. Also, the best Fish & Chips I've had local is in Brixham, Dornans I think it was called beautiful food.

Mentioned in this post
Kingsbridge
Kingsbridge
102 Reviews
Kingsbridge, UK
Brixham
Brixham
English Riviera, UK
w.mids
Level Contributor
450 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

Thanks for youe reply;I think this is a quiet thread.

My mom and dad always took me to Brixham for good fish and chips; somewhere in a side street, but this time we had superb fish n'chips at Rockfish in Dartmouth and the waitress was great; she called us lovers!

With regards to pasties;

1,The bakery,Kingsbridge; I like shortcrust and the filling but my sister and husband didn't and thought the filling quite dry,this bakery is linked to frogmore; we had lovely scones,bread pudding and bread but supply depends on what they are baking.

2,Bakehouse,Salcombe;onlyplace open on monday out of season.If I never eat these pasties again I will be happy; flakypastry,greasy,filling collapsed,too much pepper; but my family rated them hogher than 1; what do they know.Tried scones the next day; yuk.

3,Plymouth barbican; pasty shop imports them from Cornwall but they were good.

4,Mangetout, Kingsbridge; the winners were Chunk pasties; the ones that beat cornish pasties adnd upset everyone; google it.Good pastry,good filling and you could feel the meat; which is why it beat no.3!tried scones the next day...dry.

Loved Kingsbridge area and will return to try Bitterworths pasties..cheap and cheerful?

Mentioned in this post
Brixham
Brixham
English Riviera, UK
Dartmouth
Dartmouth
Devon, UK
Kingsbridge
Kingsbridge
102 Reviews
Kingsbridge, UK
Salcombe
Salcombe
Devon, UK
Plymouth
Plymouth
Devon, UK
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

My vote would also go to Chunk Pasties (from Devon!). Bacon & Chorizo being my favourite.

Mentioned in this post
Devon
Devon
England, UK
w.mids
Level Contributor
450 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

Life is short and pasties aplenty, so I'm focussing on the "traditional" for now, but my sister is very partial to a "lamb and mint". Your suggestion would sit very happily on a pizza however,so never say never!

Reply to: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kingsbridge
;