We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

w.mids
Level Contributor
470 posts
70 reviews
Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

Hi;

Hi;

We are staying in bigbury-on-sea soon and with devon/cornish blood in my family, as soon as I think of Devon, I think of pasties.

Please help my "research" with advice on good pasties...I do have a preference for shortcrust pastry, but am willing to be persuaded.

Also, any advice on good fish and chips; either eat in or takeaway.

Good places to get scones for my cream teas.

and finally, any recommendations for a nice dry cider...in my childhood, it used to be a takeaway pasty and a bottle of Inch's cider , bought at Princetown and eaten on Foxtor ,heaven!

4 replies to this topic
1 post
1 review
1. Re: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

So, In Kingsbridge they recently lost their best pasty makers, however there is a shop called Oasis just a couple doors up that still sell their pasties... Yum. Also, the best Fish & Chips I've had local is in Brixham, Dornans I think it was called beautiful food.

w.mids
Level Contributor
470 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

Thanks for youe reply;I think this is a quiet thread.

My mom and dad always took me to Brixham for good fish and chips; somewhere in a side street, but this time we had superb fish n'chips at Rockfish in Dartmouth and the waitress was great; she called us lovers!

With regards to pasties;

1,The bakery,Kingsbridge; I like shortcrust and the filling but my sister and husband didn't and thought the filling quite dry,this bakery is linked to frogmore; we had lovely scones,bread pudding and bread but supply depends on what they are baking.

2,Bakehouse,Salcombe;onlyplace open on monday out of season.If I never eat these pasties again I will be happy; flakypastry,greasy,filling collapsed,too much pepper; but my family rated them hogher than 1; what do they know.Tried scones the next day; yuk.

3,Plymouth barbican; pasty shop imports them from Cornwall but they were good.

4,Mangetout, Kingsbridge; the winners were Chunk pasties; the ones that beat cornish pasties adnd upset everyone; google it.Good pastry,good filling and you could feel the meat; which is why it beat no.3!tried scones the next day...dry.

Loved Kingsbridge area and will return to try Bitterworths pasties..cheap and cheerful?

Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
3. Re: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

My vote would also go to Chunk Pasties (from Devon!). Bacon & Chorizo being my favourite.

w.mids
Level Contributor
470 posts
70 reviews
4. Re: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!

Life is short and pasties aplenty, so I'm focussing on the "traditional" for now, but my sister is very partial to a "lamb and mint". Your suggestion would sit very happily on a pizza however,so never say never!

Reply to: Please help with the hunt for the perfect pasty!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kingsbridge