We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civil unrest in Nicaragua

ca
Level Contributor
37 posts
18 reviews
Civil unrest in Nicaragua

Would it be relatively safe to fly in to Managua? I want to get picked up at the airport and go north. I would avoid all demonstrations, and obviously Masaya.

4 replies to this topic
Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Civil unrest in Nicaragua

The north is super blocked, not easy to get to. Besides demonstrations are also taking place in Esteli, Jinotega and Matagalpa

Gulf Harbour
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Civil unrest in Nicaragua

I flew out 25 May. No evidence of unrest and no obstacles. Not sure about road blocks to north? I headed south no problem. I took taxi arranged by

https://www.sandytoezrentals.com/

to Hacienda Iguana. They took care of all the accommodation and every thing for me. Safe, no problem. Beach community. Then took small charter flight back to Managua. Only cost $112US. Worth it not to risk disruption of flight home. The people in Nicaragua are lovely with warm hearts. So helpful.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 06:03
1 post
3. Re: Civil unrest in Nicaragua

My husband was supposed to fly out of Managua yesterday, but couldn't get down there from Estelí. After 12 hours he gave up and went through Honduras to get home. One one blockade just south of Ocotal with only a 1 hour wait. It will be very hard for you to get up north, if at all.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 06:25
Saint Louis...
1 post
4. Re: Civil unrest in Nicaragua

My mother-in-law just came from Esteli to Managua Friday and it took her 8 hours and they rode buses to each blockade and then walked to the next one to get on the next bus. That was the only way to get thru. No other troubles other than the long time to get to the capital.

Reply to: Civil unrest in Nicaragua
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Masaya
More Masaya Topics