We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mickelson Trail

macc60
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
Mickelson Trail

Hello, we will be riding the Mickelson Trail while based out of Hill City in September. We have our cabins booked but weren't sure about cycling rentals. It looks like there are two companies that service the Hill City area of the Mickelson Trail. One Company rents comfort bikes only and the other one rents comfort and hybrid bikes. The one that rents only comfort bikes is a little less expensive for both the bikes and the shuttle service. For people who have ridden the trail, which bike would you recommend... Comfort or hybrid? While saving a little money is always nice, we certainly don't want to compromise our ride by choosing the wrong bikes!

Also, does anyone have recommendations for lunch while riding on the trails? is there someplace in Hill City that will make a box lunch or is it usually possible to find a place to eat lunch along the trail? Thanks so much for all of your help. We are really looking forward to the ride and exploring the rest of South Dakota as well!!

5 replies to this topic
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
1. Re: Mickelson Trail

Okay, I will attempt to answer some of this since no one else has offered better info thus far. You don't state where you are from, but the Black Hills is not densely populated. Therefore, you aren't going to find restaurants along the trail every, say, five miles. Look at a trail map showing the mileage and the towns and decide if you can make it to the next town for lunch. If I were you, I would go to Krull's grocery store and get some groceries to pack a sack lunch.

macc60
Level Contributor
28 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Mickelson Trail

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have looked at the map and saw the distance between towns but I guess I based my question on when we rode the Katy Trail in Missouri. We found that even though there was a town about every 5-10 miles there might not be a restaurant anymore or if there was a restaurant they might not be open after Labor Day so we learned to always packed a lunch, so sounds like we will should do the same on the Mickelson Trail. Thanks!

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
3. Re: Mickelson Trail

Yes, I think that's the safest thing to do. We have a cabin in MN on a major bike trail, and even there, where it's more populated, some of the choices in the towns along the trail are either the picnic shelter or the local convenience store. In the case of the Mickelson Trail, Custer would be the next town south and they for sure have places to eat lunch as it's a "larger" town. Rochford, to the north, is unincorporated. I think there's a saloon there, but not sure of the hours or even if that info is accurate. Again, someone else with better knowledge would need to weigh in.

omaha NE
Level Contributor
54 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Mickelson Trail

Just got back from riding the trail yesterday. It is fairly loose gravel, we rode down hill but I was fairly nervous going very fast so I had to ride my brakes. I brought my Trek flatbar road bike , my husband had an easier time with his bike, a comfort bike w wider tires. Spectacular scenery, I'll post a more extensive review under the Mickelson trail. There is also a brochure that shows the trail elevation and trailheads that helped us plan our strategy. You'll love the trail.

omaha NE
Level Contributor
54 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: Mickelson Trail

Oh, Hill city, the Alpine Inn is just s couple of blocks from the trail. They have a great lunch.

Reply to: Mickelson Trail
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hill City