We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To book or not to book ?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
165 reviews
To book or not to book ?

Hi folks we’re visiting the area and want to take the Black Hills Central Railroad on either Wednesday or Thursday the 21st or 22nd June this year. Could maybe manage the Friday if needed. Looking at the 10.00am from Hill City, returning on the 11.15 from Keystone.

We’d prefer to keep our options open and pick the best day weather-wise and just turn up on the day. However, what we need to know is if you think it would be better to decide which day sooner and book before the time. In your experience does the train get booked up well in advance at that time of year on those days of the week ?

Any advice on which side of the train to sit for the best views ?

Thanks

Jane

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
82 reviews
1. Re: To book or not to book ?

We went in mid-June a few years ago, and I made the reservation for nine riders just the day before. If the weather is nice, I would try to ride in an open car. In order to see different scenery, we changed sides when we got to Keystone. A few of us stayed on the train in Keystone to save our places. Enjoy the ride!

United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
2. Re: To book or not to book ?

A couple of thoughts;

1. You might want to schedule a later return trip so you have some time in Keystone to shop, grab lunch, or whatever.

2. Unless you're a die-hard train fan like I am, you can see most of the same scenery by driving the Old Keystone-Hill City Rd. It's a perfectly good local road that parallels a lot of the railroad and you can pull off when you want to. Just a thought!

Edited: 21 February 2017, 10:21
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
165 reviews
3. Re: To book or not to book ?

Thanks both.

I think we'll maybe take our chances with booking. The thoughts about Hill City - Keystone - Hill City are that we'd get back to Hill City in time to have lunch.

As we have a couple of days in the area we will be travelling the roads as well so can take as long as we want in Keystone either later that day or another day and take our time on the road too.

Yes, OH is a die hard train fan......

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
4. Re: To book or not to book ?

I'd get on the first train of the day. When we went, the first train was at 10:00, but it seems I read once that there's an earlier one. So, check the schedule and get on the first one. When we arrived at the other end in Keystone, there was a mob waiting to get on and we weren't smart enough to have one member of our party save our seats while we used the bathroom , so we got split up. This was the first week in June, but I can't recall the day of the week.

Actually, riding the train in the rain wouldn't be a bad thing if you were in an enclosed car. The mobs will head to the caves on the rainy days.

Edited: 21 February 2017, 11:38
Minnesota
Level Contributor
301 posts
181 reviews
5. Re: To book or not to book ?

When you do take the train keep your eyes peeled for wild turkeys and deer. Usually just after keystone one or both can be spotted especially if you take an early train.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
165 reviews
6. Re: To book or not to book ?

Thanks again, all info taken on and will be used.

7. Re: To book or not to book ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2018, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Hill City