We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak in Dillon, SC

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
332 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak in Dillon, SC

We moved from the suburbs of Baltimore to near Myrtle Beach, SC. I wanted to go back to Baltimore and decided to use Amtrak since there are no direct flights. My husband didn't go,so he drove me over to Dillon and saw me off. I purchased my tickets ahead of time because Dillon is one of the stations where you only have a building and no manned office. This worked great. My train was close to being on time. I boarded the train around the 12:13 departure time. Due to storms and freight trains, I came into Baltimore a little late. At times the train has to sit on a track waiting for a freight train to pass. so I got into Baltimore at 9:35 instead of 8:50. My brother picked me up. All went smoothly. Some things you might need to know. The cafe car closed down from 1-2:30 to restock and so if you are hungry during that time, you should be prepared to wait. Another thing - in Washington, DC the train goes dark, they replace the regular engine with a high speed electric train. This process means sitting in the dark for 10-15 minutes at night. On the reverse trip back to Dillon, I brought my own food and drink. You are allowed to use cell phones and some people brought portable DVD players. Next time I am going to experiment with going out of Fayetteville, which does have a manned office and free parking. If all goes well, we might use this instead of driving up to Baltimore for Christmas. Round trip for me was $136. You get a good price if you are a week or more ahead of time purchasing tickets. The lady next to me went to Washington DC from Dillon and had bought her ticket online the night before. She had to give the conductor cash and a print out with confirmation number on it as she boarded. She paid $140 - one way. So if you decide to try Amtrak, make your decision early enough to get a good price.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Fayetteville
Fayetteville
North Carolina
1. Re: Amtrak in Dillon, SC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 03:21
Get answers to your questions about Dillon